Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: "TOO MUCH CAMERA" .... is there such a thing???

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,956

    Re: "TOO MUCH CAMERA" .... is there such a thing???



    Quote Originally Posted by bburns223
    'm not at the level where I could take full advantage of a 1-series body, so it IS too much camera for me.
    To me, the degree to which the camera's is utilized doesn't enter into it. jks could shoot the school programs with a digicam, a used 20D, a 7D, or a 1D4. Each option is more expensive than the last. The more the camera, the less its features are utilized. But even so, the resulting photos will be better. The 1D4 will focus faster, have less noise, and achieve more accurate focus than any of the other options. For most people, improvements in just autofocus and noise will not be worth spending $3,000 over the 7D, or $4500 over a used 400D. But if the money is no problem, then I say go for it.

    Let's take another example. Someone with huge disposable income is trying to decide which 50mm prime to buy. Their needs are very simple. All they want is something with a nice manual focus ring and the Canon brand. They don't care about fast f-numbers (they only use f/2.8), they don't care about bokeh, autofocus, flare, or anything else.

    Based on those requirements, they should get the 50mm f/1.2. Of course, they wont take advantage of any of the features that make it cost $1500: the fast f-number, bokeh, autofocus performance, flare, etc. They're only using it to get the nice manual focus ring. Of course, they could adapt an old $300 Nikon 50mm lens that would have a manual focus ring that is just as good. But they want Canon brand. They could get the $100 Canon 50mm f/1.8. It would be just as sharp as the f/1.2 when both are stopped down to f/2.8. But it has a terrible focus ring.

    So the only time I think that a camera is "too much" is when the camera causes actual disadvantages, such as being too heavy or bulky.

    That said, most people do not have unlimited disposable income. So instead of worrying about how much camera is too much, we try to get the most value for our dollar. In your case, you could afford the 1D4, and it would provide you with better results than your 7D, but not enough extra value to make it worth paying $3300 more. Same with me.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    763

    Re: "TOO MUCH CAMERA" .... is there such a thing???



    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
    In your case, you could afford the 1D4, and it would provide you with better results than your 7D, but not enough extra value to make it worth paying $3300 more.

    Which is what I call, "Too much camera".


    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
    Let's take another example. Someone with huge disposable income is trying to decide which 50mm prime to buy. Their needs are very simple. All they want is something with a nice manual focus ring and the Canon brand. They don't care about fast f-numbers (they only use f/2.8), they don't care about bokeh, autofocus, flare, or anything else.

    Based on those requirements, they should get the 50mm f/1.2. Of course, they wont take advantage of any of the features that make it cost $1500: the fast f-number, bokeh, autofocus performance, flare, etc. They're only using it to get the nice manual focus ring. Of course, they could adapt an old $300 Nikon 50mm lens that would have a manual focus ring that is just as good. But they want Canon brand. They could get the $100 Canon 50mm f/1.8. It would be just as sharp as the f/1.2 when both are stopped down to f/2.8. But it has a terrible focus ring.

    I agree with you on that.


    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
    So the only time I think that a camera is "too much" is when the camera causes actual disadvantages, such as being too heavy or bulky.

    I'll meet you halfway with that. Good point.



  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    1,273

    Re: "TOO MUCH CAMERA" .... is there such a thing???



    Too, much, camera.


    Strange. I've seen each of those words before, but when you string them together like that I just can't think what it means []



  4. #14

    Re: "TOO MUCH CAMERA" .... is there such a thing???



    Quote Originally Posted by jks
    As far as lenses go I just got my second lens a 70-200 2.8 IS and am very ahppy with it. my other is 24-70 2.8. For now I do feel "contented" as to the "reach" and IQ these 2 lenses give me. I might look into primes in coming months.

    Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    Given what you want to shoot, I would think you should have been looking into primes sooner

    I totally agree with neuroanatomist. I started with the same 2 zooms that jks has. My wife and I shoot portraits and events too. But now our 85 f/1.2L Mk II is winning (in many ways) and the 2 zooms are like secondary (for their versatility). And I might also get the 50 f/1.2L next (or should I wait for 50 f/1.2L Mk II?)





    Quote Originally Posted by jks
    I guess I'm trying to look for equipment that will give me great images that are shot in low or poor lighting conditions.

    Again, this doesn't necessarily mean 1Ds3 or 1Ds4 or 1D4, although I am also waiting for 1Ds4. Big aperture primes and creative lighting by strobes are good too.

  5. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3

    Re: "TOO MUCH CAMERA" .... is there such a thing???



    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

    To me, the degree to which the camera's is utilized doesn't enter into it. jks could shoot the school programs with a digicam, a used 20D, a 7D, or a 1D4. Each option is more expensive than the last. The more the camera, the less its features are utilized. But even so, the resulting photos will be better. The 1D4 will focus faster, have less noise, and achieve more accurate focus than any of the other options. For most people, improvements in just autofocus and noise will not be worth spending $3,000 over the 7D, or $4500 over a used 400D. But if the money is no problem, then I say go for it.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>


    I agree.


    In my mind, the #1 job the camera must do correctly is focus. Every
    other feature in a camera is superfluous to it's ability to focus
    sharply. Within limits, nearly everything else is within your control
    either at the time of capture or can be addressed in post production.


    Not surprisingly, the focus system improves with every step-up in
    camera. Hence, in my opinion, you should always own the best camera
    (with the best focus system) you can afford. Period.

  6. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    14

    Re: "TOO MUCH CAMERA" .... is there such a thing???



    Quote Originally Posted by virtualrain


    Hence, in my opinion, you should always own the best camera
    (with the best focus system) you can afford. Period.






    I happen to agree with you on the importance of focus, but other people have more important factors (say they focus manually).


    ...And let's remember that since we are using the EOS system, focus performance enters the domain of the lens as well; you will have to have lenses with fast and/or accurate focus motors to go with your state-of-the-art-focusing body (again, if focus performance is important to you).

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    298

    Re: "TOO MUCH CAMERA" .... is there such a thing???



    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle


    Too, much, camera.


    Strange. I've seen each of those words before, but when you string them together like that I just can't think what it means [img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]

    LOL I needed a good laugh []

  8. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3

    Re: "TOO MUCH CAMERA" .... is there such a thing???



    Quote Originally Posted by msmiley


    Quote Originally Posted by virtualrain


    Hence, in my opinion, you should always own the best camera
    (with the best focus system) you can afford. Period.






    I happen to agree with you on the importance of focus, but other people have more important factors (say they focus manually).


    ...And let's remember that since we are using the EOS system, focus performance enters the domain of the lens as well; you will have to have lenses with fast and/or accurate focus motors to go with your state-of-the-art-focusing body (again, if focus performance is important to you).



    Absolutely... good points. Focus is obviously not important for folks who always manual focus or those who shoot nothing but landscapes with focus set on infinity. Of course, it may not even matter to some photographers if only 1 in 10 shots is sharply focused. But if consistently focused pictures are important to you and you have any OOF shots, then you can benefit from a better camera/focus system.

  9. #19

    Re: "TOO MUCH CAMERA" .... is there such a thing???



    I bought the best camera(s) I could afford and I'm growing into it. Kinda like pants from a big brother.


    If there are some featureson those camerasthat I may or may not have a need for, those features open up the window(s) to learning more about the many challenges of our passion.... provided one develops an interest in learning. Photography is like learning a foreign language. You have to develope an interest in it before you can use it in its entirety.


    Step up ...and learn, I say

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    899

    Re: "TOO MUCH CAMERA" .... is there such a thing???



    Quote Originally Posted by bburns223
    Give me an 800mm lens and a 1D4 and I would have no chance against Nate, with his 40d and 400 f/5.6

    Not me, I would feel perfectely comfortable with that setup. Although experience helps....[]


    John.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •