Thread: 50D Battery Grip

50D Battery Grip

I really want to get a battery grip for my 50D, but the only problem is the BG-E2N doesn't have an AF-ON button on the grip. I live by this button now, especially when using AI-SERVO. Are there any other grips that work with the 50D that have this button on it?

Re: 50D Battery Grip

Anybody?

At first I didn't know, but I hate seeing posts go without replies and I learned with research that you can configure the * button on your battery grip to be the AF-ON button using Custom Controls. So, configure the * button as an AF-ON button. The explanation is about halfway down this page:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/50d/discuss/72157612662382119/

I don't know if this'll work for sure but it's all I could find.

hope I helped you.

brendan

UPDATE it works on my 7D, use custom controls. I don't have a battery grip on but I know it'll work for yours.

brendan

I do have the 50d with grip and I have it configured to use the * button as others have said. Works better for me than the AF On button.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes

I do have the 50d with grip and I have it configured to use the * button as others have said. Works better for me than the AF On button.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Yes I had heard that but do you lose the ability to zoom when reviewing your photos on the camera that way? Its not THAT big of a deal, but would be nice to have. Why didnt they make a grip with this button? The AF-ON button has existed since the 40D, which is about when this grip came out, isnt it?

Quote Originally Posted by alex.krebiehl

Yes I had heard that but do you lose the ability to zoom when reviewing your photos on the camera that way? Its not THAT big of a deal, but would be nice to have. Why didnt they make a grip with this button? The AF-ON button has existed since the 40D, which is about when this grip came out, isnt it?
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

No you don't loose the ability to zoom your shots when reviewing them. All your doing is switching the function of the AF On and * button every thing else works the same. I tried it the standard way with just removing focus from the shutter button but I have Uncle Arthur in my hands pretty bad at times so switching the functions of the buttons work better for me and cause less strain on my thumb.