Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5DmkII or EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS: which one to buy first?

5DmkII or EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS: which one to buy first?

Hi everyone,

I am a regular follower to the forum but participate for the first time.

I've got a rebel 450D with EF 24-105mm f/4L and EF 100mm f/2.8 macro. I have a decision to make and can't get through: Between a 5DmkII and 70-200 f/2.8L IS, which one should I buy first as my budget allows only one at a time? (still don't know when will be the next time [] )

It could also be a 7D instead of 5DmkII. My thought is whether to upgrade first the body and continue with the present lenses OR to buy a 70-200 f/2.8L IS which I've been dreaming of since longtime and go with my present body 450D?

I do portraits and landscapes. Thanks a lot for your advices...!

Re: 5DmkII or EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS: which one to buy first?

Well, I'd go with the 70-200 (remember that the 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II is out) because you could buy that lens and then by the time you're ready for a body the 5D Mark III will probably be out (end 2010).

Every time I answer this question, I say, "buy the glass." However, the 5DMKII is an absolutelydream for portraits and the way it opens up wide angle lenses for landscapes is amazing.

I absolutely love my 5DMKII. You will not regret buying one.

I do have the EF70-200mm F/2.8 L IS USM and it is one of my favorite lenses, but you can do a lot with the lenses you already own.

Good point. If you only shoot portraits and landscape the 5D2 might be the better first purchase as the 100 macro can be used for portraits in the meanwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by bburns223

Well, I'd go with the 70-200 (remember that the 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II is out) because you could buy that lens and then by the time you're ready for a body the 5D Mark III will probably be out (end 2010).
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Yes...knowing that 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM is discontinued and the new version II might be out of my reach, this is what I think to do. Thanks bburns223!

5DMkII and EF 24-105 4 IS L make my favorite lens+body combo. I'd go with the 5DMkII

Quote Originally Posted by Dallasphotog

Every time I answer this question, I say, "buy the glass." However, the 5DMKII is an absolutelydream for portraits and the way it opens up wide angle lenses for landscapes is amazing.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Yeah..you're also right Dallasphotog! I learnt much about the capacity of 5DmkII when it comes to portrait and landscape. I know how this body can be great for what I do. On the other hand, I love the sharpness and image quality that a 70-200 f/2.8L can give. That's why it's difficult to decide. I probably gotta play the lottery to buy them both at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by Htet Kyi
    I am a regular follower to the forum but participate for the first time.
    It's great to have you!

Quote Originally Posted by Htet Kyi
    I've got a rebel 450D with EF 24-105mm f/4L and EF 100mm f/2.8 macro. I have a decision to make and can't get through: Between a 5DmkII and 70-200 f/2.8L IS, which one should I buy first as my budget allows only one at a time? (still don't know when will be the next time Sad )
    What's more important: landscapes or portraits? If the answer is portraits, go for the 70-200. If the answer is landscapes, go for the 5D2. I would advise most people to go with the 70-200, but it's a difficult choice -- there are lots of factors to consider.

One problem is that if you upgrade to the 5D2, you wont have a good portrait lens. All you'll have is the 105mm, which is not long enough for many portrait styles on full frame (I even like to go to 300mm). The 70-200 on the 450D will be too long for many shots, but at least you can switch to your 24-105 as needed.

If you upgrade to the 70-200, you wont have a good landscape lens: the 24-105 is perfect on the 5D2, but far too narrow on the 450D. Unless you don't like wide angle, that is.

If you're considering the 5D2 only for improved low light performance, then you might look at the 550D -- it will go a long ways toward reducing the gap at high ISO.

Whatever choice you pick I'm sure you'll be very pleased.

Thanks a lot Daniel...!

I always noticed you in most of the topics because of your patient, preciseand detail explanation. Now, here you are...to my question too! Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

What's more important: landscapes or portraits? If the answer is portraits, go for the 70-200. If the answer is landscapes, go for the 5D2. I would advise most people to go with the 70-200, but it's a difficult choice -- there are lots of factors to consider.

The answer is portraits. I do many outdoor portriats and thus, I think I'd go for the 70-200 as you advised. Besides, I love it for quite a longtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning

The 70-200 on the 450D will be too long for many shots, but at least you can switch to your 24-105 as needed.

If you upgrade to the 70-200, you wont have a good landscape lens: the 24-105 is perfect on the 5D2, but far too narrow on the 450D. Unless you don't like wide angle, that is.

Yes..I rent it and tried the other day. Indeed, it was quite long on my 450D. It's a good idea to alternate with 24-105 if need be.

True that..I won't have a good landscape lensthough I like also wide angle. But, when I really weigh between portrait and landscape, the priority goes to the first one for the moment at least.

Thanks again for making this clear!!!

Everybody said go with 5D2. Sell your 450D to have extra money for your 5D2. You are going to love it!