Thread: "New body upgrade from a 300D" vs "Lens/Flash investment"

"New body upgrade from a 300D" vs "Lens/Flash investment"

I'm a novice photographer with a hand-me-down 300D with a kit EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 USM that came with it. From what I understand from reading a lot of the posts here on this forum, it would seem to be a better investment in the long haul to purchase a good lens, as opposed to buying a new body and a cheap lens. Although I get that new bodies come out more rapidly and price depreciation is high, I was wondering whether it is worth it to stick with the 300D?

The ISO sensitivity is pretty much crap since ISO400 is already pushing it to the brink of falling off a cliff when it comes to acceptable noise level in indoor situations even to my eye. (I don't like the camera flash since it washes everything out)

The aperture of the kit lens and the lack of IS isn't helping... I was also wondering how the dynamic range of this camera compared to the more recent cameras. I don't own any filters so I have difficult time with exposures : (

Would the gain from say Nifty Fifty or a good external flash be comparable to the high ISO capabilities of a more recent camera?

Thanks!!!

Takahiro

Re: "New body upgrade from a 300D" vs "Lens/Flash investment"

Quote Originally Posted by TakahiroW4047
    is worth it to stick with the 300D?

It depends. If long-term value is a concern to you, buying a less will be worth more in the future than a new body. Putting the money towards a quality lens usually makes the biggest difference in the images you get, but it depends on what you shoot. If you shoot in ways that don't need expensive lenses (e.g. deep DOF, low contrast scenes, heavy post processing, etc.), then a new body would have a far better impact on your results than a new lens. But if you want to take advantage of new possibilities offered by a more expensive lens, such as different angles of view, DOF, contrast, etc., then that will be better.

I was also wondering how the dynamic range of this camera compared to the more recent cameras.

1-2 stops, depending on how much noise you tolerate.

Would the gain from say Nifty Fifty or a good external flash be comparable to the high ISO capabilities of a more recent camera?

Yes, the 50mm f/1.8 would give you 3.3 stops more light at 50mm, which is like going from ISO 2000 to ISO 200. However, the depth of field is very thin at f/1.8, which makes it difficult to hit focus, and image quality is not as good wide open like that.A new body would let you shoot stopped down at a higher ISO, which makes it easier to nail focus and get good quality.

Personally, I would *much* rather have a 550D+$400 lens than a 300D+$1200 lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
    Personally, I would *much* rather have a 550D+$400 lens than a 300D+$1200 lens.

I was going to say "it depends on what you shoot" but I thought about it a little and wasn't able to think of a type of shooting for which I would disagree with this.

I do love shooting with a shallow DOF. But for most indoor shots I'll probably have to stop down, and I don't know if that will provide enough light for the 300D. I have been looking at the 550D and it is very enticing.

Takahiro, welcome to the TDP Forums

I normally recommend folks to get lenses over bodies, but this only applies to those who want to upgrade after recently got a new body (theydon't even max out their existing camera yet). For your case the 300D/Rebel is a very very very old machine, not that it cannot make great images, it just that you have been using such an old machine, I think you deserve something newer[]

Now what is your budget?

*Edit*

The 550D/Rebel T2iis the newest member of the xxxD/Rebel family, if you want to save money try looking at the 450D/Rebel XSI or 500D/Rebel T1i, bot of these cameras are much better than your 300D/Rebel in term of specifications and performance.

Although at this point I've budgeted about 1k for Camera and/or Lens&Accessories, I'm a student so the prospect of me saving up again enough for an additional big purchases will be long ways down the road. So whatever the choice I want to make sure it's one I can be happy with for a long time.

Being very optimistic I'd like to think that majority of the time the low sensitivity of the 300D could be overcome by a fast lens, IS, and a proper flash?

I had a VERY brief opportunity to shoot indoor on the 300D with 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM from a 5D Mark II once. But back then I was just amazed at the AF speed improvement and wasn't paying attention to anything else so I couldn't get a comparison : (

With $1K to spend, if you can be a little patient, I'd wait until shortly after the T2i is released, then pick up a T1i. You might consider the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 - that plus the T1i at post-T2i-release prices should come to less than 1K.

Thanks everyone for their replies! I got a 50mm f/1.8 II to see what the added light could do for my 300D and I'm VERY pleased. Previously I was sometimes forced to underexposing photos to achieve minimal shutter speed then upping the exposure in post-processing which seemed to have been contributing the most to the noise. While I do stop down slightly, I can take very well exposed indoor photos with natural ambient light without compromising shutter speed! The well exposed photos lowered the noise somewhat so I guess I killed two birds with one stone!! []

I think I'll hold on to the 300D for now. I feel I can push it farther than I had previously thought.