Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 PMA, A Sigma Fest

2010 PMA, A Sigma Fest

<span style="font-size: medium;"]Have a look at http://www.dpreview.com/ see how many goodies Sigma has announced. OMG!

<span style="font-size: medium;"]I like the 8-16mm f4.5-5.6 for cropped sensor cameras. Although slow, it does give the angle of view that has never been reached by any DC lenses.

<span style="font-size: medium;"]I also like the 85mm f1.4, if this a lens inherits the image quality of the 50/1.4 and it focuses OK, I won't see myself have either of the Canon 85mm lenses. I have high expectations.

<span style="font-size: medium;"]I'm also aware of the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 OS. But I doubt if it will come close to the performance of the new Canon 70-200 lens.

<span style="font-size: medium;"]I don't know what to expect from the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 OS. My experience tells me that I don't need OS for this focal length. The Tamron non-OS has proven to be fantastic, and if willing to spend more money, the Canon 17-55 is even better.

<span style="font-size: medium;"]For the new stabilized 50-500mm lens, I can't take its weight - 2kgs! That is more than twice as heavy as my 70-200/4L IS! I also imagine it's not going to be exactly cheap anyway.

<span style="font-size: medium;"]The SD15 DSLR and the DP1x, DP2s are boring in my opinion, 14mp FOVEON X3 sensor gives the resolution equivalent to not even 5mp camera with a normal sensor. Good job.

<span style="font-size: medium;"]Share what you think!

<span style="font-size: medium;"]PS: I'm putting my 85/1.8 on sale... It has been a nice lens but it is too old.

<span style="font-size: medium;"]Ben

Re: 2010 PMA, A Sigma Fest

I am rather excited for the new Foveon sensor cameras actually. While there are only 4.7M specific pixel sites on the sensor, each one contains 3 separate silicon sensors, allowing for the gathering of full RGB information at each photosite. This will give more "true" color theoretically when compared to a Bayer pattern sensor which only collects one color and approximates using its surroundings.

Though the total pixel count is only 4.7MP in actuality, these sensors are often compared to 9-10MP cameras due to their enhanced image quality, and lack of necessary demosaicing.

I am also interested to see how low light sensitivity plays out, since the individual light gathering sites are significantly larger than on many competing CMOS sensors.

I am not jumping to buy a Foveon sensor quite yet, but I can't say that I think they are a weak concept.

I'm happy that Sigma has decided to include OS in these lenses. I'm sure we'll see more OS functionality included with the other line of lenses. I just can't understand how Sigma could have a 50-500 without some sort of stabilisation. I do understand the added cost, but in the long run, I think it's worth it. I know that I could take advantage of this feature.

I'm curious as to what the reviews will bring!

Edited: Having a look at Sigma's website, if I'm not mistaken it seems that the pricing on some of the comparable lenses to Canon's L series are not too far apart.

One example would be the 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM non macro MSRP of 1400 whereas the Canon 24-70 is 1249!
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by elmo_2006
    One example would be the 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM non macro MSRP of 1400 whereas the Canon 24-70 is 1249!
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>
    It sells for $899 though :-)

Sigma 8-16mm for crop sensors! I MUST get one of these! As long as the optical qualities are not terrible.

John.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Glass

Sigma 8-16mm for crop sensors! I MUST get one of these! As long as the optical qualities are not terrible.

John.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Ah, but it wouldn't really be "fast glass," now would it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

LOL [][H][][]

<div id="ctl00_ctl00_bcr_bcr_PostForm__QuoteText"]

John.

I got excited about this one as well [&lt;)]
    </div>

I think the 8-16mmhas been designedfor paranoid photographers. You could look through the viewfinder and see behind you at the same time!!! [:P]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

John.

Then I'll just have to change my name to Wide Glass....[]

LOL,

John.