Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do I need a monopod?

Re: Do I need a monopod?

John....after reading Nate's masculine challenging statement; w/great trepidation I will admit to using a both a tripod and a mono while using the 100-400.

I use the tripod if I'm going to be standing in one place for a long period of time....I learned my first winter, while attempting to shoot Bald Eagles; waiting for hours w/a 40D and 100-400 strapped around myneck became quite tiresomeand painful.

I purchased a monopod for the same set up when I discovered what a pain in the arse it was to hike thru a swamp w/a tripod. Again I'll be standing for hours shooting GBH's during their spring rituals. If the light is poor I will attach my remote controller to combat, at times,my over zealous shutter releasetechnique.

I picked up the manfroto head for the tripod andswap it between the 2....it's adequate and is on the replace list, but as of now a low priority. I've never used it in the portrait position on the mono.

But in general the 100-400 is quite easy to walk around with and hand hold to shoot.

BTW Nate.....if you call me a sissy, I'll tell Bryan. []

Regards

Bill

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen

Nahhh, you don't need a monopod, they're for sissies [img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img][img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img][img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img][img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img][img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img][img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]. A 100-400 with a monopod, come on, Man Up!!!![img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I just wrapped up my mono pod in some old newspapers and hid it under the bed.

In the meantime, I've begun my preacher curl regiment, using my 100-400. One, two, three......whew! What a workout!

And, Bill, better tell Bryan....[]

Hmmmm, When Hiking, a good cf monopod makes a great, but expensive, walking stick. If you find yourself on the trail and a little tired, oxygen deprived or ETOH encumbered, then you have your trusty walking stick to plant your camera on. In this case you'll sacrifice your masculinity, but youll probably get the shot. Who's looking anyway?---Seriously, I think a good monopod is a very handy piece of equipment, especially when shooting telephoto.---I would consider a 4 section rather than a 5 section---that last leg on a 5 section gets pretty thin.

Goodluck,

Bob

Bob