Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I need a monopod?

Do I need a monopod?

Hi All,

I'll be purchasing an EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens in the near future. I have a good quality carbon fiber tripod, but I don't think it will always be convenient to set that up when out hiking, etc.

What are your opinions on monopods? Something I should have for use with that lens, or will the IS be sufficient?

In terms of a specific monopod, I'd be leaning toward the Manfrotto 695CX (5-section carbon fiber) with the 234RC quick-release tilt head.

Thanks in advance!

--John

Re: Do I need a monopod?

I'm not an authority on monopods because I simply don't use mine very much. However, if you don't want to lug around a tripod, monopods are a great compromise between stability and portability. A monopod has proven essential whenever I'm photographing a wedding ceremony in a dimly lit church (and I have IS on two of my primary lenses).

The advantage of a monopod is mainly light weight and ease of use. Especially when Hiking, a monopod is an excellent choice. I think that based on your description a monopod would be a very welcome addition to your kit.

John, Definitely check out the RRS MH-01 Monopod Head. It's built for tele lenses and is far superior to the 234 in every way.

brendan

I also do not use a monopod a lot (always preferring a tripod where possible), but the one lens I use mine most with is indeed the EF 100-400mm. It's very handy for steadying that lens in places where it is not easy to set up a tripod. So, yes, I would recommend getting one. A monopod provides a deal more stability than IS, even though IS is indeed helpful.

I lug around the EF300mm f/2.8 and the EF400mm f/2.8 a lot and I wouldn't even think of shooting the 400 without a monopod. The 300 can be handheld for a single game, but it will put the hurt on you.

I've hand-held the 300 f/2.8 IS for an entire weekend tournament without pain. Last year, the local rental house only had the 300 f/2.8 non-IS version, so I tried it again, and OW! I hurt for days afterward. Not sure why there was such a difference in how I felt -- although the IS made it much easier to keep the AF point where I wanted it. I do have a monopod but I find that I get better shots without it.

To the OP: I would try it without the monopod. The 100-400 is fairly light.

Quote Originally Posted by Dallasphotog

The 300 can be handheld for a single game, but it will put the hurt on you.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

... leaning toward the Manfrotto 695CX (5-section carbon fiber) with the 234RC quick-release tilt head.

The only caveat I have about the 234RC is the single axis. I use it to tip over for verticals, meaning my camera plates are screwed on sideways (my other ballheads don't mind), and I have to lean the whole stick forward or back for everything else. It might not be such a big deal if you can rely on your lens collar. I think often of replacing it with a ballhead. The biggest testimony of its usefulness, though, is I haven't been bothered enough to actually replace it. The 484RC2 is the right size and weight.

I have and like the Manfrotto Neotec monopod. It has no collar locks to fiddle with. Just bend over enough to get the pedal under your foot and straighten up, pulling it out to shooting height in one smooth motion. Squeeze the big handle and push it down to collapse it. The only downside is that it's rather much longer closed than a 5 section stick. But... you'd still be clicking away at all those locks trying to setup while I'm heading down the trail again. There's no way I'll use a "normal" monopod ever again. I'm considering buying the Neotec tripod for the same mechanism. It is a complete joy to use, and apparently one of the better kept secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWhy

The only caveat I have about the 234RC is the single axis.

I did consider that - but felt that the collar would do. In fact, I'd plan on keeping my camera plate oriented as it is now, and using the tilt of the 234RC for switching from landscape to portrait with lenses other than the 100-400mm, and orienting the plate on the tripod collar for front/back tilt while using the collar for rotation into portrait orientation.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWhy

I have and like the Manfrotto Neotec monopod. The only downside is that it's rather much longer closed than a 5 section stick.

I'll definitely consider that. I would be worried about that downside - looks like the closed length of the Neotec with head is ~32", vs. the ~21" of the 695CX with head. I suspect that would be a barrier for me, but I do like the ease of setup. Hmmmm. Guess I'll have to try to find a local brick-and-mortar shop to try them both out.

Thanks!

Nahhh, you don't need a monopod, they're for sissies [][][][][][]. A 100-400 with a monopod, come on, Man Up!!!![]

LOL! 'Manning up" is less of an issue than caffeine-ing down... I could hold the 100-400 all day without it drooping, but after my usual pair of triple-mochas in the morning, it would be shaking all over the place. []

That's one reason I'm a neuroscientist, not a neurosurgeon...