Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stormy Day Landscapes

Re: Stormy Day Landscapes

Thank you everyone for your comments. I really enjoy these forums and the ability to get feedback on photos - always nice to get more than one perspective on an image.

TheRoff - thank you for the comment about the tower; I was so focused on photoshoping other elements that it completely escaped my attention.

Stephen - thanks for the link to the tutorials!

I did a fair amount of work in CS3 on these images, and I think I was going for a bit of a darker feel to really accentuate the areas of light. Just for fun and comparison, I wanted to post the images the way they looked directly off the camera in RAW. I'm surprised that I got as much detail as I did in the clouds, because they are overexposed andthe hightlights are completely blown out (esp in #1).

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.73/landscape1raw.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.73/landscape2raw.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.73/landscape3raw.jpg[/img]

I definitely like the darker photos. HDR could have been fun in this situation.

Hey Jessica!

I really loved you pic!

M a newbie in Dslr world..Plannin to buy one in a time of one week as m goin on a europe and london tour!

M thinkin of buyin a Canon.But not sure abt d model..and the lense...Cud u guide me as to wat i shud go for?If you have time please reply ,i shall be thankful to you for ever! my Emai is vidheee@gmail.com and vidhii.mehta@yahoo.com!

Thanx!

Love,

Vidhi

The darker pictures win - hands down.

Hey Jessica, great shots! I personally like the "underexposed" images best, to me there not underexposed but exposed correctly for the look you were going for. My favorite shot is the second one, maybe masking off the hazy areas and applying a local curves adjustment would help clear up the haze.

joel

Great recovery. Very pleasing to the eyes.

Jessica,

I love the shots with the dark moody feel. I do agree with removing the tower but other then that the shots are amazing.

Fred~

The second pic is my favorite. The center of that valley getting cleared and sunny trough the clouds, brilliant. Nice capture Jessica.

Absolutely beautiful pictures. To my eye, everything is perfect : balance, composition, colors, exposition, shades and lighting... Bravo !
    CAMERA : Canon 7D, Canon BG-E7 battery-grip
    LENSES : Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM, Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM
    ACCESORIES : LowePro pro messenger AW 160, B+W Filters.

*high fives the OP*

I think what we're figuring out is that she did a really good job getting and preserving detail in an image with very high dynamic range. Personally, I really liked the dark, kind of brooding feel, with the loads of detail in the clouds. That she got it to lookperhapsunder exposed as opposed to artificial, I think, is a plus.

Me, I like the tower. It's a little out of place, but it makes it all the more interesting. I suppose it could be distracting, but I still like it