Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stormy Day Landscapes

Stormy Day Landscapes

Took some pics on a nearby mountain a few weeks back, in between some storms. Don't have very riveting landscapes in my area, but I thought the clouds and therefore lighting added some interest. Canon 20D with 70-200mm non-IS. All shots handheld, no filters, shot in RAW and processed in CS3.

Aperture priority, f/7.1 ISO 200 1/1250 70mm

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.73/landscape1.jpg[/img]

f/7.1 ISO 200 1/1000 70mm

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.73/landscape2.jpg[/img]

f/7.1 ISO 200 1/400 200mm[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.73/landscape3.jpg[/img]

There seems to be a general haze on the distant hills in all the shots that I can't really do much about. Is this something a filter would help with? Thanks for your input!

Re: Stormy Day Landscapes

fantastic shots!

a UV Haze would probably take care of some of
    the haze and it would add some protection fo that lens. I wish the
    area around me allowed for those wonderful rolling hill shots.

~Jordan
    7d w/ BG-E7, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS II

The only complaint I have is that they are a bit underexposed, wonderful landscape though. Iespeciallylike the first one...brilliant!

Wonderful photos. I like the 2nd and 3rd photos best.
    Cheers!
    --
    AnGelo Chiu (MrGreenBug in Flickr), Blog: http://mrgreenbug.blogspot.com

No riveting landscapes?! What beautiful pictures!

I'd meter off the ground with the Exposure Lock button, then reframe and shoot. And or bracket every shot.

These are all very good pictures. In the first one I like the curve of the hill and in the last one the light. The second picture, in my opinion, is too wide, I would have like it better if it were in portrait orientation.

As Tim mentions they all appear to be a tad underexposed, but even through that they are awesome. Thanks for posting!

-Matt

Very nice compositions. I like the playof the light on the hills and valley. I agree with others, a tad under exposed. And would have photoshopped out the tower in the last one. Thanks for showing them.

Well done with the "uninteresting" landscapes. My favourite is No. 2, even though it's the one that suffers the most from unexposure. I'd suggest lightenng the foreground and possibly re-opening the jpg in ACR and then adjusting the purple/magenta values under the HSL tab (especially under Luminance) to offset some of the 'haze' effect.

FWIW, I'm not sure a UV filter would significantly improve your captures. If you've got good quality glass, the best I can say is that filters at least protect it.

I like these very much, great job. In response to the exposure comments, they do look that way, but it also highlights the bright areas and gives it more of an early morning feel, especially the third one. I wonder if you intended for slight underexposure for that reason. I agree that the haze may be mitigated by playing with levels. Check out the tutorials below.

http://www.lunacore.com/photoshop/tutorials/tut016.htm

http://onlinephototutorials.com/2008/08/03/remove-haze-from-landscape-photos/