Thread: Life-time of camera bodies

Life-time of camera bodies

Since my last post, I have started looking for a used 50D. There are lots of out there, but I am uncertain how the exposure number affects the performance. For instance will 10 000 or 12 000 exposures affect the performance significantly? I believe that both the sensor and the mechanics will eventually wear out, but after how long?

Are there any other issues I should know before I start hunting? I definately want to test the camera before the purchase, but any tips of how to recognise a good bargain will be highly appreciated.

Re: Life-time of camera bodies

The 50D is rated for 100,000 shutter actuations. When you test the camera, bring your own lens (assuming you have a good one) and more importantly, bring your computer and a card reader if possible - you'll want to look at the images from the camera on a computer display, not on the camera's LCD, to evaluate performance.

Shouldn't be a problem. The ID Mk II I use was bought used with over 100K accutations and I've added another 80K. Its still going strong, just returned from Canon CPS clean and check with no problems. You will lose the high shutter speeds 1st, but when a shutter fails, it fails gloriously.

Lars,

Just as a warning Canon rates the life expectancy of the shutter on the 50D @ 100,000 actuations. I bought my 1Ds Mark III brand new from B&H and it's rated at 300,000 actuations and with less then 10,000 actuations had to have the shutter replaced. I am very careful with my equipment (specially anything that costs that much!) so it was not any fault of my own. Luckily it was covered under warranty but if you buy it used you won't be so lucky. It probably is a rare case but they don't warranty it to 100,000 thats just what they expect it to get from testing. Not to discourage you just giving you some real world experience I had with even a pro level camera you have to expect the unexpected.

Fred~

Quote Originally Posted by Ehcalum
    but when a shutter fails, it fails gloriously.

Not sure that is the adjective I would use, but it captures it!

The life expectancy of a camera follows a bell curve. most of the cameras have a long life, well beyond obsolence. Some will last 100 years and still work, some fail immediately.

If a camera has 10,000 exposures and is clean and operates smoothly at all shutter speeds, the chances are it will last for a long time. Any infant mortality type problems have long been ruled out.

If the shutter fails, it is not horribly expensive to replace.