Thread: how not to look like a tourist

how not to look like a tourist

So I've been accepted into a study abroad program where I'll be staying in Moscow for 2 months this summer. And I wanted to know if any of you had some tips for not looking like a tourist. I know that a bit hard walking around with L glass but I'd like to do what I can. I speak enough to get around marginally easy. I suppose the next bit would dressing right. I also want to get a new neck strap once I'm there son instead of CANON written all over in english I'll have something in russian around my neck. Any other tips would be extremely welcome.

~Jordan
    7d w/ BG-E7, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS II

Re: how not to look like a tourist

For sure lose the Canon strap. I travel a lot and I think the other thing that says "tourist" is walking around with a "camera bag". I've used a Crumpler messenger type bag for years that's large enough for my gear (Hasselblad at the time). They make something called a bucket that is padded and fits inside one of their bags. It may be obvious, but it works great. I've even walked into museums with this bag and hardly ever been stopped. The only time I've ever been approached was in my old hometown and some derelict asked me if I had a camera in my bag and I told him I had laundry and walked away. Sometimes, I think it's better to just give it up and look like a tourist rather than a professional photographer. I've been questioned in Paris and San Francisco shooting with a Hassy on a tripod and said it was my hobby and not professional and they let me photograph. Good luck on your trip.

Re: how not to look like a tourist

the bags a good idea but I just got a new lowpro nature trekkar I planned on using. Its a little big but you don't look at it and say "Oh yeah, theres a camera in there."
    7d w/ BG-E7, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS II