Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon 5D mkII... now?

Canon 5D mkII... now?

So I've finally gathered enough money to get a 5D mkII body. (hooray!) However with all the news about a possible mk3 by then end of the year I'm strongly considering waiting. I have the 7D but I'm longing for that full frame.

Re: Canon 5D mkII... now?

I am kind of in the same boat. I am slowly trying to convince myself to wait for a mk3 upgrade just to get a mk2 at a discounted price. The mk2 is an incredible camera, and it overly capable. I suppose it depends on if you need what the 5dmk2 has to offer, or just want the best of the best. Keep in mind however that the mk3 has been highly rumored for a while now, nobody is quite sure when it will turn up yet. I would hold out until after Photokina and see what turns up, after that I would let desperation get the best of me... []

Well I just bought a 5DII and am very pleased. You could wait until the 5D3, but before it hits the market full-scale it could last a half year extra. And of course at about that time it isn't at the price that you pay now for a 5D2, probably twice as much []

And when it is finally broadscaled available, people will probably mention the coming of a 5D4, so you'll be starting all over again.

My advice: your 7D is a great piece of art and you need to question yourself what you expect from the 5D. Don't wait until the 5D3, just to see what it is, because it is going to be better than the 5D2, no doubt. If you wait, do it only for price-reasons.

That's my idea.

With everything in life: buy it when you need it. You need it now.

You will photograph ten (!) months already IF the Mk3 is released, which WILL cost SIGNIFICANTLY more than the Mk2 body costs now (I paid premium for mine when it was released to see it drop a thousand euros in one year: that means you either get another stash-o-cash or wait another year for it to come down, at which time you will doubt you rpurchase again and want to wait for a Mark IV because there are always rumors of the next upcoming thing).

The 5D MkII is an AMAZING camera. Amazing. If you are in the market for a full frame: get one. You have NO guarantees anything will be released. It's rumors and the original 5D camera took forever to be succeeded: God knows what product cycle the 5D is on with Canon. You just dont know.

Need something? Can afford it: ENJOY LIFE NOW and get it. Live in the present.

Thank you! []

PS: I am curious. Can you give me a detailed explanation why you long for a full frame? What benefits does full frame have for you rphotography work?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky

Thank you! [img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Yeah you got the right idea Sheiky! I'm totally on board with you.

Full frame pictures, to me, are night and day from crop frame. Even looking at the photos of the author of this site, I can clearly see the difference between the two. I have handled a 5D mkII before and to me there's just no comparison. Also, I have found that my 7D is much noisier than the 5D mkII.

You're right. I'll get the 5D mkII. If the mkIII is announced soon, I'll return it. If it's announced later, I'll sell the 7D to put toward the mkIII. Life is great. Now is always the time, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Madison
    Yeah you got the right idea Sheiky! I'm totally on board with you.

Yeah welll what can I say....European logic haha [Y]

Good luck with your 5DII alwaysuptil1 [:P]