Thread: USAir Flight 1594: The Aftermath

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

USAir Flight 1594: The Aftermath

As most of you probably heard, N106US, an Airbus A320 operating as USAir Flight 1594, landed in the Hudson River after suffering a double bird strike between Manhattan and New Jersey on January 15. Miraculously, everyone was rescued before the plane sunk. After floating downstream for a couple of hours, the plane was moored near Battery Park in Lower Manhattan, where it was hoisted onto a barge and taken to a base in New Jersey for investigation. Since most of my photography is of airplanes, and I live in New York, this was the Holy Grail. Here's what I got (click the image to see bigger versions):

The morning after the accident...this is when I learned that heat distortion is a problem even when it's 10 degrees outside...

The tail of the plane...note all of the wires hanging out the back...

The starboard engine...or what's left of it.

From the side that wasn't entirely obstructed by trees...the port engine is missing entirely. Divers were looking for it when this shot was taken...they have since located it.

All were shot with a Canon 40D and a Sigma 100-300 f/4. I was using a 1.4x TC and a tripod for #1 and #4.

Re: USAir Flight 1594: The Aftermath

Nice shots. Thanks for posting them.

Just for the sake of mention, I do believe it was flight 1549, not 1594. We all know what you meant, but your work could get lost in journalistic dungeons years from now if you refer to it as 1594.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

It's so surreal to see an aircraft sitting on the side of the street in NYC....thanks for the post.

I had a friend on that plane....how crazy is all that, and that nobody was hurt. Amazing job by the piolots!

Well...I don't know if it's on the side of the street or a barge now that I think of it...

Very nice documentary images, my question is where are the geese?[]

I think that the geese are in the soup!