Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 24-70mm question old versus coveted new one...

24-70mm question old versus coveted new one...

when do you think IS version will be available ( read some rumors it is in works) and what might be the price...and do you think, will it be worth to pay extra (whatever will it be) for IS ?

Thanks for your thoughts

Bernata

Re: 24-70mm question old versus coveted new one...

An IS version of this lens (24-70 f/2.8) has been rumored for many years, but I don't think it is the best candidate for the extra lens elements and electronics required. It is already pretty fast and IQ does degrade ever so slightly with the extra glass. Just taking a swag at it I'd say the IS adds between 3 & 6 hundred to the retail price of a lens.

Personally I bring flashes if I think light will be an issue, or at least a tripod. And BTW if they do come out with one I will happily pick up the non-IS version for the best price yet!

-Shea

Just buy it.

Don't know about the IS version, but I just got a 24-70L, and it was an upgrade from 18-55IS, and I don't miss the IS at all, the 24-70L really is fantastic, having the wide constant aperture makes up for the lack of IS, and overall the pictures it takes are at another level. I had second thoughts before I bought the lens because of the new version, but I don't regret it at all now.

-Todd

I'm with Shea... if the IS version ever comes out the best thing about it will be picking up the older version on the cheap.

Rumors are fun, but most of the time started by wishful thinkers.

The 24-70 is my favorite lens. The IQ is the best I've seen of a zoom. I have never missed IS in it. If you buy this lens and they release a new version, you will be happy that you were able to get this great lens for substantially less money.

Like others have mentioned, I don't think this lens will ever see IS. It will heavier and bulkier than it already is. Nikon's version dosen't have IS and is $1700, so I don't think it's in the cards.

Alan

I also have this lens, and I'm in agreement with the other posters. No need for IS on this great lens.

Speaking of the original as well, I like this lens more than I thought I would. While the CA that occurs outside of the focal plane first distracted me, I now kind of let it drop, and subjectively, I like the qualitative image more than my 24-105, and in most cases, even apart from the f/2.8 vs. f/4 difference, usually prefer the non-IS 24-70 despite less reach and lacking IS. What's more, in the 24-70 range, most of the pictures I'm taking, if I can't hand hold it pretty well, I usually can't get the subjects to keep still long enough to make IS useful to me.

So, I don't really have that much of an interest in IS. It'd be handy to have if it was free, but I wouldn't pay extra for it, for my needs.

Then again, right now, i couldn't, so maybe my means are biasing my desires :P

Quote Originally Posted by Shea Design
    An IS version of this lens (24-70 f/2.8) has been rumored for many years

That's right.

Anyway, I had the same dilemma a year and a half ago. Long story short, I bought the 24-70 2.8L lens anyway. 18 months later, the IS version has still not arrived, but how many happy photos did I take with the lens? Priceless. []

I have to be honest, though, I use the 24-702.8 for portrait and indoor photography,which is roughly 25% of what I do. I also have the 24-105 4.0L IS, which I use primarily for landscapes and as allaround lens, because it is lighter and shorter, weather-sealed and has more reachas well asthe IS.

Quote Originally Posted by BES
    when do you think IS version will be available

Tough to tell. At the latest PMA Show held a couple of weeks ago there was no new lens anouncements from Canon. Even if Canonissuedtha 24-70 2.8L IS release today, it will take at least 4 monthsfor the lens to show up on the market. That is, if they were working on it...

Quote Originally Posted by BES
    what might be the price...and do you think, will it be worth to pay extra (whatever will it be) for IS ?

The price difference between IS and non IS versions of other Canon Lzoom lensesrange between40 and 90%of the value of the non IS lens.A speculative price range for the 24-70 2.8L IS would be between $1750 and 2375.