Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What camera bag do you have and/or recommend?

Re: What camera bag do you have and/or recommend?

Hi Denise,

I've had the Kata KT DR-467 (green trim) for about a year now. I like it for not being able to hold too much stuff i.e. makes me think about what exactly I want to carry. It's my choice as a carry on for planes as it meets the size requirements, but you can stuff a lot into it. I've had an XTI with 24-105, 70-200 f4 IS, and 430 EX flash in the bottom compartment with a little room for a sunglass case or other random object. It's a snug fit, but not too crazy. It's also very comfortable to carry around for an entire day.

I also own a Lowepro Rover AWII which is monster of a bag and I don't use it very often due to it's size. The Lowepro Slingshot series is also one of my favorite (even though it's not on your list) for just throwing a few things and going out the door with.

Hope this helps.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edfrometown

I also own a Lowepro Rover AWII which is monster of a bag and I don't use it very often due to it's size. The Lowepro Slingshot series is also one of my favorite (even though it's not on your list) for just throwing a few things and going out the door with.

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the info! The Rover does look like quite the bag! Not exactly something I need for a day at the park! [:P] I am really torn right now between the Kata and Lowepro 400AW. Dimension wise, the Kata is wider but not as much depth. Plus the Kata's price is more attractive...leaves $ for other stuff. I just want to make sure I don't make the decision on $ alone and will also look at the Slingshot. The Kata doesn't have an attached holderto put the tripod on the outside, does it?

Thanks again,

Denise

Much like Ed, above, I tend toward a smaller bag for most outings. I have a LowePro Nature Trekker when I need everything, including my f/4 IS Kitchen Sink. But, for the most part, I use my Crumpler Six Million Dollar Home. It easily holds my 5DII, 24-105, 70-200 f/4, 580EX II, 50mm f/1.4, a small rocket blower, plus an extra battery, memory cards, a couple of filters, a lens pen... I usually take a bit less than that and can stuff a small water bottle, or something like that, in there. It's quite a versatile piece of equipment, is relatively small, and looks like a generic shoulder bag. Unfortunately, there's definitely not room for a laptop, although some of the larger Crumpler bags can accomodate one, I believe. I've been very happy with the bag and wouldn't hesitate to buy another Crumpler.

A halfway decent site for camera bags with photos (and reviews by real-world users) is CamBags. It can be a bit hit or miss (and I find their navigation a bit frustrating), but it might just have what you're looking for. I imagine that the "perfect camera bag" is propped up next to the fountain of youth. Good luck with your search!

Aaron

The LowePro Flipside 400AW sounds really nice, and when my gear expands I may look into one for myself, but for now, I like the capacity and portability of the LowePro Flipside 300. It opens in the same manner as the 400. It is a little more compact, judging by the picture above, but has plenty of room for a body with battery grip plus an attached 400mm f/5.6 lens in the middle, with room for a 17-40mm f/4, a full-size flash, a 100mm macro (which I don't own but tried before I bought the bag at the camera shop) and accessories like chargers, etc. It has several individual pockets inside a covered outer zippered pocket that accomodate CF cards and filters, though not likely in the boxes. I don't have the quantity of gear that neuroanatomist does, but for my limited current kit, it does a great job and is very handy to carry or wear.

It also has the foot and straps for my tripod, but I don't like the exposure or security when it is on there, so I carry it in its own separate padded case with a built-in shoulder strap.

Quote Originally Posted by HiFiGuy1

The LowePro Flipside 400AW sounds really nice, and when my gear expands I may look into one for myself, but for now, I like the capacity and portability of the LowePro Flipside 300.

That was a tough debate for me (300 vs. 400AW). When I bought the 400AW, I didn't have enough gear to fill it. Now I do, when I want to take everything. I also have the Inverse 200AW (belt pack type) - that's great for a body + 3 'normal' lenses, body + 2'normal'lenses and flash, or body + big white lens, for walking about.

Initially, before buying the 400AW I thought I would end up getting one of the smaller Flipsides down the line, but the 400AW is comfortable enough that I now don't see the need. The main factors that led me to the 400AW over the 300 were not the capacity for more gear (soon, I'll have more than will fit in even the 400AW!), but rather the wider, padded hip belt (it's in the style of a real backpacking pack and actually transfers weight to the hips), the semi-rigid frame the 300 lacks, and the AW cover. I do use the tripod holder for hiking in the wilderness, but I don't use it for urban treks (on those, I'm more likely to carry the Inverse 200 and just the right lenses for the shooting I'll be doing).

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron K
    A halfway decent site for camera bags with photos (and reviews by real-world users) is CamBags. It can be a bit hit or miss (and I find their navigation a bit frustrating), but it might just have what you're looking for.

Thanks for the website info! I did check it out and it was very helpful, I saw a few that I hadn't on other sites but yep, I am finding that the perfect bag must be propped up right nex to that fountain of youth! [:P]

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    I am finding that the perfect bag must be propped up right nex to that fountain of youth! [img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]

Very true. No bag is perfect, and no gear solves all the problems. But really, that Lowepro looks like a solid choice.

Quote Originally Posted by bburns223

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    I am finding that the perfect bag must be propped up right nex to that fountain of youth! [img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]

Very true. No bag is perfect, and no gear solves all the problems.

I do agree. Until somebody invents a perfect bag, having eventually a few of them may be the way to go. I have read threads full ofposts stating how maybags photogs have and on what occassions theyare being used.

BTW, I have the Flipside 400 and love it for its capacity, ergonomicsandcomfortableness. The 300 is also fine, but itwill betighter if you are planning on taking lens hoodswith you, itswaist belt is not as comfy, its tripod holding system not as strong andthereis noall weater cover.

LowePro Mini-Trekker AW

I love this bag! It's big enough to fit a good amount of stuff without being too big to carry. It's durable, has plenty of additional storage and a place for the tripod. It also has a nice little raincoat-like thing that comes from under it to cover the bag to protect it from rain.

Here is my bag:

On the left you'll see an EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM with hood. Just to below you'll see an EF 2x converter.

Middle column from top to bottom is an EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM Macro, then an EF 1.4x converter and underneath that is an EF 50mm f/1.4 USM. Below that is my Canon 7D with attached EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens.

Right column: Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 UWA and Canon 50D.

I also have one of my two 430EXII Speedlites in the other, front compartment of the bag. Both could fit but I keep one at home as I rarely use even the one I bring along with me. I also have pens, a USB stick, blank DVDs, lens-cleaning paper, memory card wallet and extra camera batteries.

NOTE: I used to have an EF 100-400 in the SAME exact place as the 70-200 is now in my bag... I never even moved the divider so it shouldn't take up any more space than you see there.

Jordan, Welcome back! (It seems you haven't posted in a while...)

I tried a Mini Trekker when I was looking for a camera bag. Well, I ended up going with a Crumpler (best bag out there) but that lowepro's a solid recommendation.

brendan