Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What camera bag do you have and/or recommend?

What camera bag do you have and/or recommend?

With the new gear I've purchased, I am in need of a bigger bag& suggestions. I don't have any stores near me that sell them so I'm relying heavily on your advice& whatever pics/reviews I can find on the web. It's amazing how some sites don't even show the inside of the bag! The ones that do, it is hard to tell if I'd even have room in the divider sectionfor the big lens hood that came with the 100-400mm.

I've narrowed things down to four...

OGIO Atiba Mini
    Mountainsmith Traverse AT
    Kata KT DR-467-BR
    Kata 3N1-30 Sling

My gear would be my 7D, macro lens, 17-55mm,one of my telephotos (either the 100-400mm zoom or 300mm), teleconverter, extermal flash, cleaning supplies, lens hoods, misc. small stuff such as filters, etc. I don't have a laptop but would like to haveroom for a manual or book. Although when I go out, I wouldn't take every lens I own with me but you never know what you might need walking trails or down by the marina. Even at home, I still like to haveas much together as I can.

Recommendations for any of the above or others greatly appreciated! Please feel free to post photos of your bag fully loaded! []

Thanks so much!

Denise

Re: What camera bag do you have and/or recommend?

Hi Denise,

I'm really happy with my Lowepro Flipside 400AW. Great capacity - it holds my 7D with grip, all of my current lenses with their hoods (EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM,EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM,EF 85mm f/1.8 USM,EF 100mm f/2.8<span style="color: red;"]LMacro IS USM,EF 200mm f/2.8<span style="color: red;"]LII USM , andEF 300mm f/4<span style="color: red;"]LIS USM), and my Speedlite 430EX II. I think I'll be able to get the 100-400mm in there with the hood (instead of the 300mm f/4), but I won't have that lens to try it out for another couple of weeks). The outside pocket holds my charger, 5 filters (77mm) in their boxes, LensPen, Rocket Blower, and the Magic Lantern 7D guide. It's got an external holder for the tripod. It opens from the front, i.e. the part of the pack that is against your back when worn. In addition to theft deterrence in an urban setting, one thing I really like about it is when hiking I can remove the shoulder straps, spin it around, and have a platform to change lenses, all without setting the pack on the ground. It's also quite comfortable to wear on a hike of several hours, even with all that gear inside.

Here's a pic (the top of the pack is in front):

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.35.15/Lowepro-400AW.JPG[/img]

I suggest lowepro for your needs. Either shoulder bags, backpacks, etc, all are well made. I have a different brand bag but for you I think a lowepro pack will be a good fit. How's the 100-400 coming along? What's your impression of the 100-400 vs the 300 f/4?

brendan

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    I'm really happy with my Lowepro Flipside 400AW.

Hi John,

Thanks for the info on your Lowepro bag and the photo! It was VERY helpful and has made it toward the top of my list. The reviews on a few sites I looked at are really good also. Only two things are am wondering, if it will hold my tripod ok or if it is made for smaller ones and how easy is it to open on the go? I just watch a video on it and the guy showed the advantage of the waist strap and being able to turn the bag around to the front to open it using his thigh for support ...looks like it mightwork ok but one reviewer said things can easily fall out. Is it quite the balancing act or is the bag pretty sturdy and rigid on the back?

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by bburns223
    How's the 100-400 coming along? What's your impression of the 100-400 vs the 300 f/4?
    Hi Bendan,

To be honest with you, I have not had a chance to really use the 100-400mm. I have been really sick and it has also been raining here for days and for a few more yet to come. I am "impatiently" waiting for some nice weather now that I am feeling better! It looks like better weather coming on Monday when I will be at work! []

Denise

It holds my Manfrotto 190CX4 + 488RC2 ballhead just fine - two of the legs fit in the pocket (which tucks into a little compartment when not in use), and the strap holds it up higher. The legs + ballhead are about 25" long, and the top of the ballhead is just a couple of inches above the top of the pack (and the pack is deep enough that the ballhead is nowhere near my head).

I don't find a need to do a balancing act or use my thigh to support the bag when it's in front and opened up. Unlike the lower numbers in the series (Flipside 200/300), the 400AW versionThe only 'issue' I've noticed is that the camera body is a significant weight positioned near the top of the bag. So, when the body is in the bag and I spin it around and open it, I need to support the bag with one hand when pulling out the body - it drops about 6" when I pull the body out. That does not occur when pulling out lenses (even heavier ones, which I place near the base). Even so, I don't feel anything is likely to fall out - the dividers hold things in place nicely.

Hope that helps!

--John

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    It's amazing how some sites don't even show the inside of the bag!

I agree. It should be in their best interest to show as many pictures as they can.

Luckily, I came across of this website. It is in german, but you can easily find the backpack of your choice and see what can be put in it. The database is getting updated frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by piiooo
    Luckily, I came across of this website. It is in german, but you can easily find the backpack of your choice and see what can be put in it.
    Thank you so much for the link! This is exactly what I searching for earlier. A site that actually shows you pictures of the inside of the bag loaded with gear! This is great (even if it isn't in english)!

Denise

Denise, try searching the name of the bag on flickr. Many users post pictures of their bags loaded w/ gear.

Quote Originally Posted by bburns223

Denise, try searching the name of the bag on flickr. Many users post pictures of their bags loaded w/ gear.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Thanks Brendan, I will check that out. I really like John's but want to look over a few more before I order one.

Denise