Thread: polarizer filter +UV filter

polarizer filter +UV filter

hello again

I have one question regarding the use of a circular polarizer filer,so here it is:when using the polarizer is it better to remove the UV filter first or should I live it on and just screw the CPL on top? will I lose any picture quality or is just the same?

thank you all

Re: polarizer filter +UV filter

If you stacked a CPL on top of a UV filter, you would likely see some increased vignetting (dark corners) especially on a wide-angle lens. For best results, don't stack filters unless you absolutely need to.

thank you for the fast reply, I am using a canon 40D ,tamron 17-50mm or canon 70-300mm IS.

Depends on the filters. With high quality filters, there won't be much optical effect. Vignetting is the main risk, in that case. I am able to stack a B+W Slim CPL filter onto a B+W XS-PRO mount (also a slim mount, but with threads) on an EF-S 17-55mm without vignetting. But, if either was not a slim mount, vignetting would be a problem, and if both weren't top quality filters, there would be optical effects.

Personally, I always stack my CPL on top of my UV filter. Purely because I'm too lazy to take the UV filter off first. I haven't had any issues with excess vignetting but I'd imagine it would get worst (as would IQ) the wider you go. I only use B&W MRC filters.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor

Personally, I always stack my CPL on top of my UV filter. Purely because I'm too lazy to take the UV filter off first. I haven't had any issues with excess vignetting but I'd imagine it would get worst (as would IQ) the wider you go. I only use B&W MRC filters.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Ditto...

With really wide angle stuff, I worry about polarizing filters simply because the effect changes significantly with angle of view, i.e., blue sky becomes different shades, etc... if I had a problem with vignetting, and I couldn't fix it by stopping down, I'd remove the UV filter, I guess.

Yep Colin that's about the same for me. the 10-22mm is the widest lens I own and I've never felt the need for a CPL as the colours produced from that lens is gorgeous.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

thank you all, it makes sense what you are saying.

adrian