Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lens sharpness

Lens sharpness

Im really concerned that my canon 17-55 F2.8 isnt giving sharp enough images any views please

Re: Lens sharpness

My usual test when a new toy (lens) arrives in the mail is to take a pic of a sheet of crisp printed text and then look at it 100% to look for any obvious sharpness issues.

You need to make sure that the part of the image you are looking at is in focus.With the first pic it looks as if the focus may have hit on the seat belt pad rather than the face. Given it is a young child I doubt they would have been sitting still also

The statue in the second one lookssharp enough to me

You need to suppy us with more details. What was the aperture (DOF) and what was the shutter speed for example. Did you shoot raw? If so, did you apply proper sharpening? Etc. Etc.

Are you using Digital Photo Professional to convert your pics? If so, what sharpness setting are you using? Also, what camera are you using to take the pictures?

In addition to the other details requested (camera body, EXIF data), was this manual or autofocus? If autofocus, did you focus and recompose?

Body Canon 50d

Len Ef 17-55mm EFS F2.8 IS

Photo taken using custom w/b

Set in AV mode

No Flash

Even with this additional info, it is too hard to tell if the lens has a problem by looking at these pictures. Besides the lens, blurry pics can be caused by bad focus, camera shake, subject movement, or a problem with the camera itself (this last is unlikely). If I suspected a lens of not being sharp enough, I would focus choose a flat stationary test object with plenty of detail, focus perfectly using live view, use a tripod and not-too-long shutter speed, and timed (10 second) release. I would want the object to be not too close and not too far away (maybe between 10 and 50 feet). I would make several (at least five) attempts. If I could not get a sharp picture in this way, I would suspect the lens.

I would next try with another lens (hopefully soon after... lighting should be the same. Better yet I would use a flash). If the other lens gave sharp pictures, I would conclude that the first lens had a problem.

Even with good lenses, I get plenty of pictures that don't look that sharp. But the lens itself is a constant. My subjects and my technique are not. One sharp picture at a given aperture and focal length is enough to prove the lens is okay.

To be honest, it's pretty much impossible to help you without more details. Custom WB won't affect sharpness. Av mode, fine - you had control of the aperture. But, what aperture did you select for those shots? What shutter speed did the camera select? What focus mode? Which focal point, and where on the subject did it fall?

If you're concerned about sharpness, there are better tests out there.

I luv this forum...

On the subject of questioning the sharpness ability of a given lens, I have seen many posts everywherethat state the testing procedures is to use live view via a tripod alongside other variables. In my humble opinion I cannot understand how this may solve the issue of softness or sharpness or some other IQ concern that may have been raised.

i.e., taking a photo via the viewfinder, the images seem to be questionable, however using liveview to perform testing the IQ has somewaht improved, what has this really proved? Using liveview to me is not the greatest option.

Please understand that there was no intention in hijacking this thread, merely to have a better understanding behind the testing procedures when IQ has come into question.

Thanks
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by elmo_2006
    Please understand that there was no intention in hijacking this thread, merely to have a better understanding behind the testing procedures when IQ has come into question.

Thanks
    I think the point was to take a picture under the most optimal conditions to see whether or not the lens is capable of producing a sharp image. Like Jon said, if it can produce one sharp image it can produce many (even under less optimal conditions).