Thread: Lens Microadjustment on 5D II: Does it make "consumer" lens sharper at all?

Lens Microadjustment on 5D II: Does it make "consumer" lens sharper at all?

Hi all,

Since I have no 5D II or any camera body that has Lens MicroAdjustment feature, I'll need your opinion on this one.

Let's say we put EF 70-300 IS or, the more expensive EF 70-300 DO IS on a 5D Mark II. According to most reviews, those lenses are not as sharp as L series lenses, and it's true. But if we set the lens MA on those to its sharpest setting, would it make the sharpness more acceptable? (Maybe it's like putting on 70-200 f/4L on 350D that has no MA). I hope this makes sense to you.

Any opinions will be much appreciated! Probably users of 40D, 50D, 1Ds Mk III also could help me on this.

Re: Lens Microadjustment on 5D II: Does it make "consumer" lens sharper at all?

Focus micro-adjustment will only show an improvement if the lens/body combo was misfocusing (which could be due to issues in that particular body, that particular lens, or both). If the lens/body combo is already focusing well, you'll gain nothing with MA. If one or both are having issues, you'll do better, but nothing will overcome the limits of the lens.

Case in point: I have a 1D3 (with MA), and often shoot with a 24-105/4L. I occasionally shoot with my girlfriend's 28-135/3.5-5.6. I think the combo focuses fine, but the pictures just aren't the same.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.