Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flim SLR's

Flim SLR's

I know this community is typically a digital photography community, however since I only see canon talk here, I just wanted to know if any of you still use canon's Film SLRs from the past.

The reason I thought of this was since the other day I was sorting out my old photography stuff and managed to locate my old F1(N), A1, EOS 500 and Elan 7E QD. I have fond memories of these models since I learnt photographyon these cameras. Infact the F1 is older to me by 6 years and still works great. And the same it the case with the A1, which I really admire since it is mechanical and can work with out batteries.

These are just thoughts and would surely like to know your experiences with similar analog equipment....

Regards..NG....

Re: Flim SLR's

I still have my trusty old Olympus OM10 and Canon EOS100. I don't think I'll ever get rid of them, too many happy memories. (the OM10 still has a few specks of red African dust lodged in the viewfinder from my first big foreign trip!) I'll probably never use them again, but its comforting to know that if I ever need to expose a roll of film, the EOS100 is compatible with all my newer lenses.

I'm strongly contemplating enrolling in some photography classes this summer or fall, and find myself quite willing to buy a film camera, just to break some lazy habits and gain the perspectives.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Yup. I still shoot with an EOS Elan7ne. I love that eye control!!!

One thing I remember from my film days was the high costs involved. This did however have the advantage of forcing me to put a lot more thought into composition and getting exposure, focusetc correct. Nowadays we can just fire away at X fps & hit the delete button when we get it wrong, back then it was money down the drain! This thread is enticing me to purchase a few rolls of slide film and take a trip down memory lane[]

Like I said, I'd like to break some lazy habits. All too often, when I mash the button and fire away, I feel like the "best shot" was the action between the first and second frame, meaning I missed the great shot in the 100ms between shots.

Strobist recently had a guest post on someone else's blog where he described the old game of First Frame. Two photos shooting a game would load a fresh roll of film, shoot a frame of each other as proof, then prepare to shoot the game. The First Frame each shot was their entry into the contest, to be judged on composition, technicals, and of course how big of a moment it was in the game. It's things that force me to think about what I'm shooting that I really feel that I need.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

In just a couple of years things will have gotten to shutterless shooting at variable frame rates and just choose the frame you like in post. Pretty crazy.

I still have my 30 year old AE-1, 10 year old to me A-1, and a bunch of FD lenses. I haven't shot any film for at least 3 years but I haven't got the heart to sell my film stuff. I have a lot of fond memories shooting film but it's just so expensive compared to digital. I figured that it costs about $20 a roll including film, developing, and printing these days. But I have this great 35-105mm F3.5 zoom that shoots great shots and I'll probably bring it out to shoot again soon.

I think I need to get back to film shooting, The digital cam has turned me into a lazy photographer always quick on the trigger and not taking time to compose the pic. Take a few shots and then choose the best one of the lot and discard the rest....

Hi naturegrapher

I am glad You post this one! I am frustrated with "must have" stuffs !

One could by a 5D and a few "L" lenses...I Did...After couple of months, oooopppssss, 5DII 22Mpix camera is on the market,

another must have...

OK, new, beter...But, hey... Are my lenses good inough for new resolution?

I'm tired!

I use my Canon 1VHS a lot. All my lenses are sharper on film body then on 5D!

It's kind of enjoyment when I feel a Pro tool in my hands, listening the shutter sound andrelax my mind knowing

there is no needs for post process after scanning. So I can spend my time with my friends and family instead with my comp.

I 've been using The Eos 1V HS since it came to Europian market.
    This is so far, The Best 35mm<span>filmcamera ever. The Eos 1V HS was always in my bag next to my Hasselblad camera in a HQ film days.
    I sold my Hass but kept The legendary Canon 1 V HS.

Today, my 5D and 5D II looks like a toys compared to a Working Horse 1V HS
    The body is full metal &amp; solid constraction, non like 1DsIII, even better, and it is enjoyment to use it and fill the rolls in the field.
    It has brightest and biggest viewfinder with 45 focusing points and with 10 frames per second shooting rate and no focussing issues like 1DmkII or III does in AISERVO mode!

Note: I am Not against Digital at all !

Best Regards, mzemljic