Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flim SLR's

Re: Flim SLR's

I have an EOS 30 (7E in the U.S.) that I use for landscape shooting. Much cheaper than a 5DII, and more megapixels, if you use the right film and a good scanner.

I'm also currently fixing up an Olympus PEN FT, as a small camera I can keep in my bag. The half-frame format size is still larger than the sensor on my 400D, and film quality has improved a lot since this camera came out, so with the aforementioned good scanner, this could be a good unobtrusive SLR.

I will be procuring my parent's old Pentax A3000 over the weekend. I am without a camera at the moment and we all figured that this is better than nothing, or at least it will be if it still works. It has been stored for almost as long as I can remember.

I have been using the film cameras for the past week or so and I am loving the results. I am thinking of taking the covers offold mamiya 330, but the problem is getting the film developed. I am sure,it would be good fun usingthe beast (mamiya) and my sweetheart A1 together.

i do

1.Canon IXUS APS (SLR)

2.Canon EPOCA

3.Canon EOS 5 (my bro)

4.Canon EOS 1V (my bro)

NG....just thought I'd add mytwo cents worth on the subject of using film SLR's and digital SLR's. I currently own an AE-1, A-1, and an EOS 630. With the exception of my first camera, an Argus C4 (that I also still use), Iuseonly Canon camera's and lenses. I still shoot with the EOS 630 regularly, and occasionally with the AE-1 and A-1, but most of myphotography since September 2006 has beendone with my 30D digital SLR. I still enjoy using my film cameras and continue to get very satisfying images with film. I love shooting digital however, and it hasonly made me more excited about photography.With digital, the ability to adapt to quickly changing conditions out in the field almost instantly without changing film or carrying multiple camera bodies loaded with different types and speedsof film is fantastic. As a result,by just changing a few camera settings I can stay in a creative mode longer, andam able to continue shooting andcapture images that I would never have gotten with a film camera.I disagree with those who say that using a digital camera/DSLR makes you alazy photographer because it's so easy to delete the "bad" shots or fix them later with imaging software. After talking with many fellow photographers I've met out in the field, it is mybelief that most photographerswho consider themselves enthusiastsor serious amateurs like myself, take the time to learn the proper exposure and composition skills andthe capabilities of their camera toget the image right at the time of capture without depending upon their imaging software to "fix" it for them later. Personally, I work very hard to get the best exposure and composition at the time I capture an image whether I'm using a film or digital SLR.With my digital SLR I work in RAW capture exclusively so I perform some post processing on all of my images and I don't hesitate to make minor adjustments in Lightroom or Photoshop if necessary. For those puristswho think the use of imaging software to manipulate an image is so terrible and not in keeping with traditional ways, they should studythe techniquesAnsel Adams used in the darkroom to get his amazing images. He used various chemical mixtures for developinghis negatives and prints depending upon the type of film he usedto get the final print to look the way he wanted it to based onhis vision of the scene as he originally photographed it. It wasn't unusual for Ansel to go back into his darkroom and print an image multiple times using different chemical mixtures at differenttemperatures for different lengths of time until he got it the way he wanted it. In reality he did in the darkroom what we can now do on the computer. I enjoy landscape and nature photography most, and I have great fun capturing the great outdoors onfilm or digital. Not every image I capture is perfect, and I've certainly taken more than my fair share of bad ones over the years,but those bad ones have taught me a lot and I have a lot of fun. Having fun, that's what it's really all about!

My apologies for such a lengthy dialog.

Sincerely...Jeff

I do not mind doing it my self but I do not have theequipment. On the otherhandI do not have an issue with paying what ever the price to somebodyand then getting it done. But the problem that I face in India is that there is not a soul in the city that I live in of 7.5 million people who can do this development. The nearest place where this development can be done is nearly 1500 miles away. I think, I will currently shoot the existing film and then get it developed in the US when ever I visit or send it across to a friend who can get it developed......