Thread: Canon 5D (I) and CyberSyncs, anyone had banding problems?

Canon 5D (I) and CyberSyncs, anyone had banding problems?

Just picked up a used Canon 5D (1), but unfortunatly my cheapo Cactus V4 trigger set causes some horrible banding on my images, not matter what adjustments I make to my camera/flash settings. This is a well known problem, but I had the triggers before I got the camera, and I was hoping I wouldn't be affected. Not a big deal as it cost me about $100 Canadian for a transmitter and 3 recievers.

I'm about to call Alien bees and order a CyberSync transmitter and three recievers, which is going to run me about $350 after shipping and taxes.

My question is, has anyone heard of any banding issues with these triggers? My internet research seems to indicate that they will be OK, but I was hoping to seek the knowledgeable advice of this fourm before I pull out my Visa card again.

Thanks, John

Re: Canon 5D (I) and CyberSyncs, anyone had banding problems?

Also, just realized that if I go with the CyberSync's I will need a hot shoe adapter for my flash units (430 EX, Vivitar 285HV) as they do not have cable connections.

I think I would be able to actually use the Cactus V4 receivers as a hot shoe adapter because they have the 3.5mm female input. Would this work?

What shutter speed were you trying to sync? Even the CyberSync's will be limited to your max sync speed if I understand correctly.

BTW - I think you will be happy with the CyberSyncs, just make sure you understand that high speed sync requires a very accurate multi strobe type of flash as the first curtain is immediately chased by the second.

I want the Radio Popper PX system for full strobist capability - but it will be a bit spendy.

-Shea

Hi Shea,

Thanks for the response.

Sync speed is not a problem with the triggers, they worked perfectly at all speeds up to 1/200th (max sync of my 5D). The issue is the banding which occur across the top 650px for the files. Apparently it's an RF issue they 5D has. I'm wondering if the CyberSyncs will have this issue as well, although I'm pretty sure they don't. I'm hoping that someone in this forum has used them with the 5D successfully.

Radio Poppers look very nice! Too expensive for me too

I've researched radio triggers extensively, and I've never come across someone complaining of banding using the Cybersyncs (although it is quite common with the Cactus ones). If you're worried, though, call them up and ask their customer service if they've ever heard of any issues. The employees under Paul C. Buff are very knowledgable and extremely helpful. And yes, you'll need an adapter if you go with Cybersyncs. I'd suggest the #0128 at flash zebra. They are simple, reliable, and not terribly expensive. I have 6 of them and I use them on every shoot (although rarely do I use all at once).

Thanks for your insight Sean. I've been combing google now for a few hours and haven't found any reports of banding issues. Thanks for the link to the hot shoe apdapter, just what I was looking for. Much appreciated!

If you haven't already done so, check out my introduction to off-camera flash here. As you're already using Cactus triggers, some of the info will be redundant, but you'll likely find a few useful tidbits throught the three-part post.