Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon 50mm 1.4 or 50mm 1.2

Canon 50mm 1.4 or 50mm 1.2

Hi all. Got a problem. Use l series lens on my IDSMK3. Got quite a few zoomz and primes but im now moving in to both portraits which i used to have no interest in and indoor stuff where no flash or tripod are allowed e.g churches and galleries. The cost of the 1.2 is a lot and whilst well built (had a look at one at a camera exhibition) i cant really justify the cost for that extra bit of light. My mate has a Nikon 1.4 50mm and loves it. He also has a 1.8 85mm which i may purchase later but use the 70-200 f2.8 for now. Just wondered what you think of both these lens choices. Im used to l's and have the l disease where i just cant stop buying them. So the 1.4 will be my first none L.

Mick

p.s after reading reviews on here i sold my wife and a couple of kidneys and bought a 500 f4. It was worth every penny. Only downside it isnt as fun in bed as the wife. LOL

Re: Canon 50mm 1.4 or 50mm 1.2

I must admit I have noexperience with the 50mm f/1.2 L; however, I own the 50mmn f/1.4 and would purchase it again in a heartbeat. I honestly don't use it often, but when needed, it performs very well. There are issues with the AF going out (normally after the lens is dropped). However, if handled relatively carefully, it'll produce some really nice images (especially for the price).

I recently used the 50mm f/1.4 for this shot.

I have the 1.4 and really like it. Not sure how much I would appreciate the extra speed of a 1.2. It would be a safer bet to start with the 1.4 and go to the 1.2 if you had to than to go the other way. Looking at Bryan's ISO12233 crops, the 1.4 looks comparable or better than the 1.2 across the entire aperture range. See here.

I never used the 50 1.2 but I use to own the 50 1.4. I sold it recently due to low use and the need to offset some of the cost of my 35 1.4L. When I did use it I thought it was good enough that I never even considered the 1.2 and I too am an L addict. So even if the day comes I decide I need a 50mm I will still go with the 1.4.

If we were talking 85mm, I gotta go with the 1.2 though. It is #1 on my dream list.

I've never used the 50 f/1.2, but from what I understand, it is corrected differently than most lenses (including the 50mm f/1.4). It is figured in such a way that sharpness is compromised in exchange for a particularly smooth bokeh. Look at Bryan's review for sample photos: IMO it really looks nice. However, as others have said, sharpness suffers as a result.

Before buying the 50 f/1.2, you should know what you're giving up with this type of correction and what you're getting in return.

Quote Originally Posted by Micktheexbiker

i cant really justify the cost for that extra bit of light.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Hard to justify 300% more $$s for only 1/3 stop more light.

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb

i cant really justify the cost for that extra bit of light.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Hard to justify 300% more $s for only 1/3 stop more light.

Mark

My thoughts exactly. The f/1.4 seems to produce some great results for the price. The f/1.2 is a great looking piece of kit but the cost is amazing.

I'd like to see a 35mm f/1.4 with a similar build quality and IQ to the 50mm f/1.4. I find 50mm is slightly long on a crop body (I've come to terms with the fact that I can't justify moving to FF in the near future- 7D it is).
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor

I'd like to see a 35mm f/1.4 with a similar build quality and IQ to the 50mm f/1.4. I find 50mm is slightly long on a crop body (I've come to terms with the fact that I can't justify moving to FF in the near future- 7D it is).

Without the "L" price tag I mean. They should make a new currency for L lenses. L$1 would equal 4 billion Australian dollars.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

I have the 50 1.4 and the photos I have taken with it are great. I don't think it's worth the jump in price IMO.

MattG

My mate has a Nikon 1.4 50mm and loves it. He also has a 1.8 85mm which i may purchase later but use the 70-200 f2.8 for now. Just wondered what you think of both these lens choices

Both the EF 50 f1.4 and EF 85 f1.8 are "classic" full frame lenses. Many award winning photos have been taken with both of these.

I love the L series lenses as much as the next fanboy, but if Sigma had their 50 f1.4 when I bought my EF 50 1.4 I'd probably dropped the tad extra for the Sigma. I've never owned a Sigma lens but this one looks like one worth take'n a chance on. Check out dpreview's side by side comparison here

Micktheexbiker It's all what you're planning on doing with it. I can say that the EF 50 f1.4 on my 5D rocks!

Good luck mate.