Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon Lens advice

Canon Lens advice

Hi there. I've been reading this site since I got into photography in April of last year and I've relied on it heavily for a lot of my lens purchases. I own a Canon Rebel XT/350D with a Canon 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8 and a Sigma 28mm 1.8.

My birthday is coming up and I'm looking at getting an L series lens. The two I'm stuck between are the 24-70L f/2.8 and the 70-200L f/2.8 IS. I shoot anything I can stick my lens in front of, but I primarily do a lot of low-light photography; bands, indoor events, outdoor night events so the 24-105 f/4 IS doesn't seem like a good idea. I'm stuck because I feel like the 24-70mm combined with the selection of lenses I have will be redundant, but the IQ of this lens will outshine them. The reach of the 70-200mm is really appealing since the longest lens I have is the 85mm. Any help you professionals could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Canon Lens advice

I think the 70-200 would help round out your collection better than the 24-70.

You don't seem to have anything that is very wide, especially with a crop body, but if that's not a concern.

I own both the lens you are considering and I love them both. The 70-200 f/2.8 L IS USM is extremely versatile and the image stabilization does help a lot. You look like you are well covered in the wide angle / open aperature arena, so I'd opt for the telephoto.

I love my70-200 so much that I use it for a lot of portrait shoots and even use it for the low light ceremony pictures at weddings.

Right now, my only issue is that my daughter shoots for the school paper and disappears with the 70-200 every chance she gets. I'm trying not to end up with two of them!

Both of your posts make a lot of sense and are the exact reasons I'd like the 70-200mm. I guess my biggest hang up is that I feel the 24-70mm could give me better IQ than the three that I have but also the ability to only have to carry one lens most of the time and maybe switch to one of the others should I need that f/1.8.

I appreciate both of your recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by SansSanity

Hi there. I've been reading this site since I got into photography in April of last year and I've relied on it heavily for a lot of my lens purchases. I own a Canon Rebel XT/350D with a Canon 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8 and a Sigma 28mm 1.8.

OK, here is the thing. While I know glass is generally the biggest upgrade you can make, in your situation I think you would best benefit from a body upgrade. Given your subject matter, a 5D would be a very welcomed addition and would most certainly improve your low light photography. I know I'm going out on a limb with this one considering the thread title is "Canon Lens Advice", but this is advice coming from someone who shoots a lot of the same subject matter. Toss any one of your primes on the 5D and shoot a show and you will immediately obtain gratification. Right now is possibly the best time to pick up a 5D--used or new from $1100-1900. If the body is a no-go, it might be best to inform us where you feel your missing out and or what FL's you find more useful.

That was a thought that had also crossed my mind. The full frame is very enticing. What about upgrading to a 5D would improve my low light photography? The lower noise levels at higher ISOs?

Since April of last year when I picked up my camera the lens I've used the most is the 50mm. Their have been situations where I've wanted some reach and others where I don't have enough room to back up and get everything in the shot. I just got the Sigma 28mm from a friend a few weeks ago and I've loved the wider angle of view. But I am a little envious of my other friends 75-300mm and being able to get up close and personal with subjects far away.

That was a thought that had also crossed my mind. The full frame is very enticing. What about upgrading to a 5D would improve my low light photography? The lower noise levels at higher ISOs?

Bingo.

Since April of last year when I picked up my camera the lens I've used the most is the 50mm. Their have been situations where I've wanted some reach and others where I don't have enough room to back up and get everything in the shot. I just got the Sigma 28mm from a friend a few weeks ago and I've loved the wider angle of view. But I am a little envious of my other friends 75-300mm and being able to get up close and personal with subjects far away.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Remember 28mm on FF is actually 28mm--not 49mm's as it is now on your XTi. Then again you will loose out on the long side so picking up a 100f/2, 135/2 or 70-200/2.8 may be in your interest in the long run. But 85mm's for shows will get you by on FF if you are close enough.

Don't be too envious of the 75-300......I just sold one, while it had the reach, overall it's not a very impressive peice.

I picked up a 300 f4L and am looking to put a 70-200 along with it to fill my gap.

You might look into bodies, I just upgraded from my 20D to a very nice 1DmkII for a very reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by MVers

Remember 28mm on FF is actually 28mm--not 49mm's as it is now on your XTi. Then again you will loose out on the long side so picking up a 100f/2, 135/2 or 70-200/2.8 may be in your interest in the long run. But 85mm's for shows will get you by on FF if you are close enough.

This is true, and I do realize that. But since there's still a difference to me between a "50mm" and "28mm" even though they are actually about 80mm and 49mm on a cropped sensor. It like the labels were mixed up :P

Sounds to me like it'd be in my best interest to go with the 70-200mm or a new camera body. Thanks for all your advice MVers!

Should I decide to go with a 5D would it be best to wait a little while and get the 5D mkII?

The 5D kicks Booty, I agree with an earlier poster, if you want to see a differance the 5D will do it, but you will want good glass also, you could hold of on glass for a while what you have is not bad.