Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Lake is FINALLY Thawing!

Re: The Lake is FINALLY Thawing!

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

Great pics, Denise! I really like #6! I also like that you have a lower angle in shots 4-6 - that might have been something to try when composing shots like 1-3.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Hi John,

Yes, a lower angle is definitely a plus. I will go thru the rest tonight and see what others I have. I'm going back tonight and will try in slow it down and concentrate more on composition.

BTW, the 100-400mm is my lens of choice over the 300mm without a doubt!!

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

BTW, the 100-400mm is my lens of choice over the 300mm without a doubt!!

Glad to hear that - I ordered my EF 100-400mm today. []

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    BTW, the 100-400mm is my lens of choice over the 300mm without a doubt!

In that case, It would make sense to sell your 300 f/4. You could have that $1200 for other, more useful gear. I personally prefer the 300 f/4 by a long shot but I am a minority in this.

brendan

Quote Originally Posted by bburns223

...prefer the 300 f/4 by a long shot...

But, you can get a longer shot with the 100-400mm... [:P]

I'm looking forward to my newest lens - in looking over my shots with my EF 300mm f/4<span style="color: red;"]L IS, I find most are at ISOs in the 100-400 range, even in the early morning light. Based on that, I can afford the stop of aperture. I know you like the OOF blur and bokeh of the 300mm prime, but based on the math for a subject at the same distance, 400mm f/5.6 has a shallower DoF than 300mm f/4, and both lenses have an 8-bladed aperture...so, I'm expecting good things in that regard, in addition to the added flexibility of the zoom range.

the bokeh just doesn't smear out those trees in the BG. This is one of the 100-400's biggest flaws and is partially why you might want to use your 300 f/4.

My goose headshot photo above has great bokeh. The blue is the water but the brown is actually wood from the empty boat slip. So the other with the tree, may just be the way I focused, temps had dropped by then and I was shaking from cold and about to head home when I saw them. Plus pp will fix anything not blurred enough.

Sell the 300mm? Probably at some point down the line. I'll hang on to it for awhile and see. One beauiful sunny day out with the 100-400mm isn't enough for me to make that decision just yet. Never know ...maybe I'll get my daughter hooked on photography

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    I'm looking forward to my newest lens - in looking over my shots with my EF 300mm f/4<span style="color:red;"]L IS, I find most are at ISOs in the 100-400 range, even in the early morning light. Based on that, I can afford the stop of aperture. I know you like the OOF blur and bokeh of the 300mm prime, but based on the math for a subject at the same distance, 400mm f/5.6 has a shallower DoF than 300mm f/4, and both lenses have an 8-bladed aperture...so, I'm expecting good things in that regard, in addition to the added flexibility of the zoom range.

technically, you're right. But otherwise not as much. The 100-400 (as I've heard from many people) has a problem with bokeh. Denise, that doesn't mean every shot will look like it was shot at f/170, but it is one of the lens's flaws.

brendan

technically, you're right. But otherwise not as much.

That's ok - that may be one good reason for Denise and I to have both of them in our kits... []

Alan

technically, you're right. But otherwise not as much. The 100-400 (as I've heard from many people) has a problem with bokeh. Denise, that doesn't mean every shot will look like it was shot at f/170, but it is one of the lens's flaws.

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Brendan, there really is no "flaw" when describing the 100-400, in the real sense of the word. It's just not as good as other lenses. But, it doesn't cost as much, considering it's got a good zoom range, and IS. If it was an f/4 100-400 IS, we'd all be worn out holding the thing.

I may not be able to run the 4 minute mile, but that's not a flaw...just a deficiency of my physique.

Well, we're talking L lenses here.....we can be picky! [6]

Anywho, seems like we're resurrecting that 100-400 vs 300 f/4 argument.....I have come to the conclusion that although they have comparable specs they are very different lenses. The 100-400 is meant to function as an all-around wildlife lens, while the 300 f/4 is meant to be used in complement of shorter and longer lenses. So really IMO comparing them in general is useless, every person has different needs. I plan to buy a 500mm f/4.5L (yes, f/4.5L) so the 300 f/4 made a lot of sense.

anywho, I will be traveling to Florida next week. Some AWESOME bird photography there this time of year [ip]

brendan

It may not be the best bokeh at 5.6 but it will give you decent separation. The versatility and sharpness make this a hard lens not to love.

7D 1/1250 ISO 200f/5.6 100-400 @370mm

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.81/IMG_5F00_0187xsm.jpg[/img]