Thread: Tell me what you think

Tell me what you think

This is one of those shots that I have mixed feelings about, Please tell me what you think?

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.23/IMG_5F00_9216.JPG[/img]
    Bob

Re: Tell me what you think

First, Bob, you are making me feel really jealous with all these awesome birds you have near you. I have nothing. [:'(]

Just kidding. But really, consider yourself lucky []

Anywho, I love the colors in the shot, but my one beef is that the reeds in the very foreground and very background are OOF. Narrower Aperture much? But overall it's a very nice landscape bob.

brendan

The spacing of the birds bothers me. Something about them being equally spaced apart...and the fact that they're the major focal point, yet very small and thus lacking any interesting detail.

I agree with brendan. Even before I read his reply, I was thinking that the majority of the photo is in focus, but what isn't in focus is kind of in between. By that I mean that it doesn't seem to be intentionally OOF (or if it is I think it should be more OOF), and the foreground and background aren't enough in focus if that was the intent.

I do like the colors and the focus in the middle of the photo is great. Is it just me or do I see a dust spot (or something similar) just to the right of one of the groups of lily pads? And yes, I live in the desert, so if those aren't lily pads then you will have to excuse my fading memory from years ago before I lived here.

I am glad I am not the only one that noticed that---Thanks Sean, What about the overall comp---

I guess if I have to over analyze it---there is something wrong[:S]

Bob

Tucson, You do see a dust spot. I noticd that after my upload---Thefor and aft is also slightly OOF as You and Brenden pointed out.--no it was not intentional.

Thanks for your input---also, thanks to you, Sean and Brenden for confirming my original thoughts----This one is going away, but I may try the shot again, next time I go out there. I also think a lower perspective might benefit the shot.

Bob
    Bob

I think this shot (when you go back to try again) could benefit by using a wide angle lens if you have one and getting really low to the ground with something very close to you in the foreground as a focal point. Even if it's a small tuft of grass/ reeds that appeals to you. Just my thoughts - the colours are great though.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Hey Bob,

to be very honest, I don't really like the colors. I think they are very saturated, but I don't know the type of weed, so it could be natural. You create a natural composition and when I do it, I personally like it natural+ a little pushing.

But besides that one thing is looking a bit strange. When I look at the shadows, I think the sun was to the left from you. That would mean that it would light up the entire right side of the picture since that side is the sunside. Your right side is darker though and I think it looks weird.

I hope I didn't criticize too much, but you asked what do you think and I started looking at it quite (too) serious [:P]

What I would do or try is perhaps lower your angle, like you said and show a little bit of sky or tops of trees so it doesn't look like the river is flowing skywards and above the trees/bushes on the left. Maybe get a wider angle to show more, or compose a little different and maybe show less from the right side of the water. (I'm holding my hand in front of the right side of the picture and see a whole different composition in which I wouldn't mind the colors you used. Just some thoughts.

Hope you'll be happier with you new try! Good luck!

Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

The spacing of the birds bothers me. Something about them being equally spaced apart...
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

...but he's got his ducks in a row!!! []

-----------------------------------------------------------

I find myself wondering what is off to the right.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9