Thread: Going to Italy-what lenses should I take?

Going to Italy-what lenses should I take?

My wife and I are taking a two week trip to Paris and Italy in March. I have a 40D that I just purchased and she has a Rebel XTi.

We own the following lenses:

10-22

17-85

50 f/1.4

100 f/2.8 macro

200 f/2.8

2x converter

Since I just purchased the 40D, I don't have a standard zoom for both cameras. Therefore, I am going to try and rent a lens before we go. Given what I already have, what lens should I get? Should I leave any of my current lenses home?

I have been considering the following:

100-400

70-200

24-70

24-105

17-55

We will be staying in the major cities and I would really like to do some street photography of the people in their element. I am sure there will be some birds around to take shots of and definitely some cool sunsets. We won't spend much if any time in the coutryside.

Re: Going to Italy-what lenses should I take?

Hi Daniel,

You guys have some nice lenses there.

My wife and I have been very happy travelling internationally with the following:

• 2x XTi bodies
    • 17-55mm f/2.8 IS
    • 30mm f/1.4 Sigma
    • 70-200 f/4 IS + 1.4x teleconverter

<div>I was the happy recipient of the 10-22 for xmas this year, and it fit perfectly into our camera bag(s) on a new year's trip to Iceland. We travel with one or two crumpler bags if we're in a car, and if we're on foot then a discreet canvas satchel / shoulder bag.</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>If I was packing out of your current bag for MY trip - no rentals - then I'd take the 10-22 for architecture and any urban landscapes , the 17-85 (daylight walkaround lens that can shoot at 30mm normal range), the 50 1.4 for low-light/evening snaps, and the 200 tele + extender if you expect to see any critters. (For a city trip, I'd skip the 100m macro unless you or your wife is in love with that lens.) </div>
    <div></div>
    <div>In our experience we travel with a wide-angle and telephoto lens mounted 80% of mornings, change lenses once or twice during the day if we have the camera bag / car with us, then invariably swap out the slowest lens for Sigma prime in the evening. Dollar for dollar the Sigma is my favorite lens; the keeper rate is low (lowest?) but out of our top-20 photos all time, easily 10 are from this one lens.</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>Re renting: personallly, I would not want to travel with the 100-400 or 24-70 for weight/bulk. The hood on that 24-70 is huge too. The 17-55 IS and 70-200 IS have made usextremely happy on every trip - no complaints. I would rent the 24-105 because I'm curious about it, but if you hadda pick one... and buy it... then I suggest the 17-55 given you already have the nice 100m macro and other "coverage" overlapping the 24-105 range, whereas you don't have any "fast normal" or "fast wide" coverage -- which for me, is where I shoot most of the time.</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>Anyway, I wish I had your problems. Sounds like a great trip! :-)</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>- Isaac</div>
    <div></div>