Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B + W Slim Filters MRC

B + W Slim Filters MRC

Can I use them on my 24-70 2.8 L & 70-200mm 2.8 L? My local supplier doesn't have the regular ones. Are there any significant difference with regards to image quality? Please advice.

Re: B + W Slim Filters MRC

I can't comment on the quality differencebut I have a slim polarising filterfor my 17-40. It has no thread to attach astandard lens cap to it and the cap that came with the filter is prone to coming loose when removing the camera from a camera bag.

Of course you can use them. There's no difference in image quality - the glass is the same, it's the mount holding the glass that's different. The slim mount is usually for wide angle lenses (with the standard F-Pro mount you will likely get vignetting at wider than 28mm on a full frame body or wider than 17mm on a 1.6x crop body).

However, there is a big difference in convenience of use - the regular B+W SLIM mount filter doesn't have front threads, meaning your Canon lens cap won't work so you'll need to use the slip-on cap that comes with the slim filter - those are easy to knock off, and I really don't care for them. So, if this is for a CPL (which isn't left on the lens all the time), that's fine - I have a slimKäsemannCPL, it's great. But, if this is for UV/protection filters that are going to remain on the lens I'd stay away from the slim mount. (As a side note, for UV filters on wide angle lenses, I recommend the newer B+W XS-PRO mount - it's a slim filter, but with front threads - I use one on my EF-S 10-22mm).

I recently sold my Kaesemann CPL for a standard mount so I could have the convenience of stacking filters. Since I'm not a FF shooter, it wasn't important to me to have the slim mount. My widest lens is the 16-35L & to prevent vignetting, I zoom to 17mm which eliminates this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by travischance
    I recently sold my Kaesemann CPL for a standard mount so I could have the convenience of stacking filters.

Just curious - what do you stack on top of the CPL? I have the slimKäsemannCPL (I initially ordered the regular F-Pro mountKäsemann, but exchanged it for the SLIM version) because I have UV filters on all my lenses, and if I'm in a hurry I can stack the slim CPL onto a UV filter and not vignette. Even so, when combining ND and CPL filters, I would always have the CPL on the outside of the stack (even if I had a version with front threads).

Is the slimmer XS-PRO required to avoid vignetting for the EF-S 10-22mm? I have read differing opinions on the topic. Most agree that a standard CPL will vignette, but the standard UV will not.

Per the B+W site, a standard CPL is 8mm thick, a slim CPL is 5mm thick. The F-Pro UV is 5 mm thick, and the XS-PRO UV filter is only 3.4 mm thick.

When I finally buy the 10-22, I'd like to know which filter to put with it. I was planning to move my Hoya HMC from my 70-200 2.8 IS to the new 10-22, and buying a B+W for the 70-200. Depending on the answers, I may have to change that. Back when I bought the filters, the XS-PRO was not available. I really like the idea of a slim filter with front threads!

I also have a B+W Kasseman slim CPL, which is fantastic optically. My complaint about it mimics many others: that the lack of front threads negates a standard lens cap, and the friction fit cap that is provided with the filter falls off constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kreitman
    Is the slimmer XS-PRO required to avoid vignetting for the EF-S 10-22mm?

I don't know - I've never used anything but the XS-PRO on it. I also now have an XS-PRO UV on my EF-S 17-55mm - I know it's not needed due to vignetting by itself, but now I can stack the slim CPL if needed. Once I became aware of the XS-PRO mount (from a post on these forums [] ), which was after I had the F-Pro on the 17-55mm, I ordered an XS-PRO with my subsequent telephoto lens purchase and swapped the filters.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the differing opinions result from aperture - when a lens is used wide open, optical vignetting is more likely, and this makes mechanical vignetting more apparent. But, since the 10-22mm is often used for landscapes, stopped down as far as practical, mechanical vignetting is not much of a concern. For shooters using JPG or RAW with DPP, the application (or not) of peripheral illumination correction will also matter (as I recall, the EF-S 10-22mm was not in the 'stock' list of lens corrections on either the T1i or the 7D - I had to add it using EOS Utility).

I'll try to find some time to put an F-Pro MRC UV on my EF-S 10-22mm and test for vignetting, in the next day or two.

I did have a chance to find a HOYA PRO1 HD series UV filter. But would definitely purchase a B+W filter when its available....

Just minutes after my purchase, someone came in with a 1Ds Mark III with a 70-200mm 2.8 L IS mounted on it. What surprised me was the fact that there were 2 UV filters attached onto it! Yes, 2! (a B+W UV & a Sigma UV filter)!!

Are there any issues when using 2 filters (UV) on top of each? I know this one sounds stupid but I'm really sure on what I saw earlier. I didn't even have the guts to ask him WHY.[8-)] I do know that you can stack up UV,Grad ND/ND filter, CPL filter. The above sounds really ridiculous. Is there any explanation to this?

Quote Originally Posted by sirhc_1

Are there any issues when using 2 filters (UV) on top of each? I know this one sounds stupid but I'm really sure on what I saw earlier. Is there any explanation to this?

Besides mild insanity, the only reason I can think of would be to intentionally cause flare in a shot, as a 'desired' effect.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    Besides mild insanity, the only reason I can think of would be to intentionally cause flare in a shot, as a 'desired' effect.

Same here.[:P]