Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kreitman
Is the slimmer XS-PRO required to avoid vignetting for the EF-S 10-22mm?

I don't know - I've never used anything but the XS-PRO on it. I also now have an XS-PRO UV on my EF-S 17-55mm - I know it's not needed due to vignetting by itself, but now I can stack the slim CPL if needed. Once I became aware of the XS-PRO mount (from a post on these forums [] ), which was after I had the F-Pro on the 17-55mm, I ordered an XS-PRO with my subsequent telephoto lens purchase and swapped the filters.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the differing opinions result from aperture - when a lens is used wide open, optical vignetting is more likely, and this makes mechanical vignetting more apparent. But, since the 10-22mm is often used for landscapes, stopped down as far as practical, mechanical vignetting is not much of a concern. For shooters using JPG or RAW with DPP, the application (or not) of peripheral illumination correction will also matter (as I recall, the EF-S 10-22mm was not in the 'stock' list of lens corrections on either the T1i or the 7D - I had to add it using EOS Utility).

I'll try to find some time to put an F-Pro MRC UV on my EF-S 10-22mm and test for vignetting, in the next day or two.