Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How gutsy are you?

How gutsy are you?

Good Morning All,

I have a general question for everyone. Were you camera shy behind the camera when you first started out?

Personal Scenario:

Every dayI pass a very nice waterfall with the water cascading down some large boulders. A local landscape company has it set it up off the shoulder of a state highway I take to & from work. I would love to getphotos of it and practice my shutter speed to get the right affect. Only problem is, I don't have the nerve to pull off onto the shoulder&put my emergency flashers on to take the photos!

Another scenerio: Every day I also pass a family's farm that has about7 horses out every day when I head home that I would like to photograph. I have pulled off to the side of the road once and took a few out my car window. They would turn out MUCH better if I got out and walked up to the fence. If someone stood at my fence & took photos of my dogs, I think I'd get a tad perturbed! I thought of going up to the door and saying, Hi, I'm new at photography and I'd love to take photos of your horses but I think that comes off as even more odd!

Also, a few guys at work call me "the creeper" jokingly because they think my neighbors are going to start thinking I'm taking photos of them thru their windows when I'm in my backyard photographing birds in their trees! [:O]

Does it take some time to feel less uncomfortable being out and about with your camera?

Denise

Re: How gutsy are you?

Haha Denise! Beautifull post!

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    Every dayI pass a very nice waterfall with the water cascading down some large boulders. A local landscape company has it set it up off the shoulder of a state highway I take to & from work. I would love to getphotos of it and practice my shutter speed to get the right affect. Only problem is, I don't have the nerve to pull off onto the shoulder&put my emergency flashers on to take the photos!

Just do it! Or if you're really uncomfortable ask one of the landscapers. But since you don't have an economical interest and it isn't bothering any privacy I don't think it's a problem. It's not that you take advantage of somebodies work by photographing for private goals. I don't see any problems here.

Scenario 2 made me laugh hihi [:P]

I have pulled off to the side of the road once and took a few out my car window.

You really think that is less odd than:

I thought of going up to the door and saying, Hi, I'm new at photography and I'd love to take photos of your horses

haha to be honest, when someone pulls over in front of my house and "secretly" police stakeout style begins taking photos from a car window, I wouldn't really like it. Asking might seem a big step, but I think it's a way better start and perhaps they will give you even more opportunities. Most people are nicer then you think and not at all offended when you think their work is so beautifull that you had to ask to takes photos. At least I would be honored and perhaps a bit flattered as well [A]

Also, a few guys at work call me "the creeper" jokingly because they think my neighbors are going to start thinking I'm taking photos of them thru their windows when I'm in my backyard photographing birds in their trees! [img]/emoticons/emotion-3.gif[/img]

Haha that's hilarious! Once you show your neighbours what you do and explain, they probably will ask how your pictures came out and maybe even call you up when theres something cool going on in their backyards []

Does it take some time to feel less uncomfortable being out and about with your camera?

To be honest, in my case it does and I still feel uncomfortable at times. Yesterday I rented the enormous 100-400 and I was really thinking about what people might think of me with such a cannon [:P]

To answer your question, I think it all depends on your personality. I'm not a real outgoing type, so I probably need more time to get comfortable with certain elements than others do. I wouldn't pose for a camera when other people would watch, that's for sure! But I'll get over it eventually [] Oh ps: when I see the selfportraits of say...Sean Setters...I wouldn't have the guts to do that for myself [A]

Jan

Hi Denise,

I think it gets easier with time, certainly. My 'learning' curve has been rather quick this time, such that I now have no problem walking around even in urban areas holding a big, gripped camera and a long white lens... [] I say quick this time, because many years ago, I shot for my high school newspaper/yearbooks (using a Pentax film SLR - that was around the time when the latest and greatest innovation - autofocus - was way out of my budget).

One thing to have handy in your bag is a printout of the card from THIS SITE, just in case.

In the cases you mention, the real concern is not you or the camera, it's your car - but as long as it's safely and legally parked, you should be fine there.

Just go out and have fun shooting!

--John

Denise,

As for the waterfall - think safety. Or maybe go on the weekend when traffic is light. Or pull over, put your flashers on, phone a tow truck, wait till he/she gets there (better traffic control) then jump out an snap the shots! Ha ha.

As for the horses, I would just hop out, set up and start shooting. If the look like they have a problem with it, talk to them.

Yes, it can take some time to feel less uncomfortable. But it only temporary.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Damian S.
    As for the waterfall - think safety. Or maybe go on the weekend when traffic is light. Or pull over, put your flashers on, phone a tow truck, wait till he/she gets there (better traffic control) then jump out an snap the shots! Ha ha.

Oh!!! Lol I though Denise was talking about external "emergency" flashes for her camera [:P] Now it makes sense... I couldn't figure out why she called them emergency flashes hihi...[A]

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    [img]/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img] Oh ps: when I see the selfportraits of say...Sean Setters...I wouldn't have the guts to do that for myself [img]/emoticons/emotion-13.gif[/img]

Many times I take self-portraits out of necessity--like if I want to try out a particular technique, when I don't have a willing subject. Considering I do most of the self-portraits in the middle of the street in front of my home, I'm sure all the neighbors believe I'm quite vain.

The only way to get over your fears is to face them head-on. Start small by striking up conversations with complete strangers. Once you're comfortable with that, then you'll be able to knock on someone's door and say, "Hi, may name is ______, and I've noticed you have some absolutely beautiful horses. I'm new at photography, and as I pass your home everyday, I think to myself what a wonderful picture those horses would make. Would you mind if I took some pictures of them from your fence? I'd be more than happy to give you a CD of the pictures I get!"

As long as you're direct, and purposeful, and confident, most people will be glad you stopped and asked rather than trying to take pictures like a CIA operative (or careless trespasser).

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky

To be honest, in my case it does and I still feel uncomfortable at times. Yesterday I rented the enormous 100-400 and I was really thinking about what people might think of me with such a cannon [img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]

Exactly!Last week I went down by the lake on our first nice spring day to take photos after work. There was about 6-7 other people already there with their cameras doing the same thing. Only problem is, I walked up with my 100-400mm and they were all there with there point and shoots ...one on a tripod! I walked up and said, "Wow, looks like everyone had the same idea!" One lady turned to me and said, " Ya know, your camera is alittle intimidating!" So, I guess that response has only added to my uncomfortableness!

Denise

Oh yeah, I'm camera shy.

In the summer I have tons of Robins on my lawn, and lie out on the grass at ground level to photograph them. It does feel very awkward when neighbors drive by and see someone lying on their lawn with some tube mounted to what looks like a box. So yeah, I understand what you mean very much!

brendan

As for the horses, I would just hop out, set up and start shooting. If the look like they have a problem with it, talk to them.

You forgot to add the part about having the horses sign model releases... [:P]

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

You forgot to add the part about having the horses sign model releases... [img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]

Only if you sell them []