Thread: 5D MK2 or 7D

5D MK2 or 7D

Hi,

I'm Planing to upgrade from a XSI. Not sure which I should get.

each have their own pros.

MK2

Full Frame, better IQ

7D

better AF

I've also heard there is a new 5D coming soon..

what are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Re: 5D MK2 or 7D

Hey man,

well the first thing to ask here is:

What lenses do you have and what type of photography do you do?

Both have their own characteristics. It's comparing very different things if we don't know what you want.

Jan

By the way...there probably will be a new 5D somewhere sooner or later, but don't be to focused on that. You live now, I say that because sooner or later there might be a 5D4 as well....etc etc... It will also cost more than the 5D2 and 7D do now [:P]

What do you shoot, mainly? Landscapes/portraits - get the 5D2. Sports/action/wildlife - get the 7D. If you shoot everything, decide which you want to prioritize.

Also consider your lenses and accessories - do you have a lot invested in EF-S lenses? If so, you cannot use them on the 5D2. Do you have an external Speedlite? If you use a flash, keep in mind that the 5D2 doesn't have a built-in version.

I shoot a lot of landscapes, but I would like to do everything with the camera.

I currently have the 24-70 and the 70-200 f4 IS

I'm leaning towards teh 5D2 but I'm a little worry about the focus.

what are your experiences with this?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by znxlegion

I'm leaning towards teh 5D2 but I'm a little worry about the focus.

what are your experiences with this?

I think it just comes down to: are you going to shoot rapidly moving objects, or still objects? I went from a 1DIIN to a 5DII and was not disappointed with the 5DII autofocus. But niether do I expect it to track fast objects (it is almost always in one shot, center point). The 5DII center point is fast and accurate and works well in low light. The other points require more light.

If your subjects are relatively close to you and are moving, I expect the 7D to produce better results.

Personally, for "do everything", I would go for the 5DII, especially since you mentioned an emphasis on landscapes. For action, I would go with the 7D. But I might be a little biased toward full frame relative to the majority opinion.

In addition, full frame will allow you to get the most out of your 24-70. It always seems a shame to me to crop wideish EF lenses, especially a nice one like the 24-70... you paid a lot for a lens that can illuminate a ff sensor (an EF-S lens with the same f number and focal length and with similar IQ to the cropped 24-70 would cost far less to make and would be much lighter). The 24-70 is wide enough for most landscapes on full frame. In fact if you go with the 7D you might consider selling the 24-70 and getting a good EF-S lens for landscapes.

Thanks for the response!

Yea I would love to go FF just to get the full use out of my lenses.

My main issue really is that even though I shoot landscapes, I would love to go into p<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Calibri;"]ortraits and while most portraits are still life and wouldnt really need a great auto focus, there are times where I would make my subject move around. with my XSI I have focus issues here. the pictures just don't seem as sharp as I would like them to be. I also love taking pictures on the street where people are just going about their business, would this be an issue for the 5D2?

<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Calibri;"]I apologize if the above paragraph is hard to understand, I am currently at work and do not have time to proff read.

<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Calibri;"]

<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Calibri;"]Thanks again

I understand exactly what you mean, because I went through the same thing when I bought my last two cameras.

There is no easy answer. Most of the time, the 5DII af is great, but there are times when I'm taking a picture of a moving subject in low light and I wish I had a high end af, and sometimes I miss shots that I might (just might) have gotten with a more responsive camera with a better af. In practice (for me) this is rare, and anyway I wasn't often able to get a good shot in these difficult situations, even with the 1DIIN, and I guess the 7D is similar.

My gut feeling is that you'll be fine with the 5DII af, but if you're really worried about it, perhaps you should try it out first (rent or better yet, borrow)

Hmm yea well there is one tiny concern though. The DOF of the 5D is a lot smaller than what you are used to on your cropbody. (I know technically it isn't but you know what I mean []) Therefor AF during spontaneous portraits can be a little tricky. I have made pictures where I thought everyone was in focus, but dang they weren't. I had less trouble with out of focus pictures with my 50D. But you can also look at it as a challenge! Because when you succeed, the output is pretty loveable [A]

Jan

The reduced DOF is only an advantage, not a disadvantage. After all, if you want more DOF you can always stop down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

The reduced DOF is only an advantage, not a disadvantage. After all, if you want more DOF you can always stop down.

For the effect I agree wholeheartedly, but for AF-issues I have to disagree with you.

This issue I mean:

<div>

Quote Originally Posted by znxlegion
    My main issue really is that even though I shoot landscapes, I would love to go into p<span style="font-size:small;font-family:Calibri;"]ortraits and while most portraits are still life and wouldnt really need a great auto focus, there are times where I would make my subject move around. with my XSI I have focus issues here. the pictures just don't seem as sharp as I would like them to be. I also love taking pictures on the street where people are just going about their business, would this be an issue for the 5D2?

The shallow DOF doesn't make it easier in these shots. That's what I meant. The 7D would probably be easier to use during these shots. I'm not saying it couldn't be done with a 5D []

Hope you get my point and maybe you could prove me wrong, but this is what I think for this particular situation.

Jan

</div>