Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5D MkII or wait for the MKIII?

Re: 5D MkII or wait for the MKIII?

Quote Originally Posted by scalesusa
    It will cost more, count on that.

I wouldn't be to sure of that. The 5D Mark I retailed at ~$3000 USD at its release. The 5D Mark II, on the other hand, had an initial MSRP in the neighbourhood of $2700. Will this trend continue? I sure hope so. []

The 5D MK II cost more than the original 5D at the time the 5D II was introduced, because over the years, as it became old technology, Cannon cut the price. The same is happening with the 5D MK II, Canon is dropping the price and discounts are easy to find.

By your way of thinking, the 1d MK IV would have cost less than a new 1D MK III! Its not going to happen.

Here's my take on it. The only reason I'd wait for the MarkIII is to get a bigger discount on the MarkII. I'd be willing to bet the price of the new one will be at the higher end, if not, beyond your projected budget. Besides, we still don't know even IF it's coming out. We're talking at least five months away at best and you might only be saving one hundred dollars. You could prolly buy one now (don't be scared of refurbs) and sell enough pictures to cover that difference, and if the MarkIII never happens...it's just like Mr. Setters said OTOH, The 70-200mm dropped One hundred bucks in price one month after I bought it...then the new one came out th enext month. I think they sell the 70-200 MarkI's at Big Lots now. I feel soooo sick.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Quote Originally Posted by andnowimbroke
    I think they sell the 70-200 MarkI's at Big Lots now. I feel soooo sick.

Lol. Have you looked lately? Since the MkII came out (and sells at full list price), the price of the MkI version has actually gone UP - I presume that's because with the higher cost of the MkII, even a higher price on the MkI looks 'cheap' by comparison. Now, if you bought just before a rebate started, well...that causes queasiness! (I lucked out there with my 7D - I ordered it from Amazon just before the late winter rebates in March, but when CanonRumors broke the rebate news, it hadn't shipped yet, so I was able to cancel and reorder once the rebate was in effect.)

If it makes you feel less sick, everyone who currently has the 70-200 2.8 MkI in stock is selling it for $1900 - only $100 less than full list price!

Without any hesitation whatsoever, I can say get the 5D2. It's image quality is simply awesome. You're basically getting a 1D3 sensor with better guts and incredible low-light capabilities...and the 24-105mm lens is worth the extra few hundred dollars...

Then get the best glass you can afford...

I anticipate that I'll still be using my 5D2 at least 3-5 years from now.

Thanks, I do feel less sick now. I think I got mine in November when the price dropped $100 and was excited. Then a month later it dropped another $100 with an instantrebate I think. Then Canon announced the MarkII. I email Amazon and then Adorama (who it came from) to see if I could send it back for the new one (price was unknown at the time)or get a $100 credit. Their policy is only good for two weeks and I was at four, and they had no idea when the new one would be out. Missed it by that much. That's when I found out about CR and check them regularly (just in case).
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

I just bought my second 5D MKII. Now the company will haveit's own copy. We absolutely love the camera for headshots, products and event coverage...and we are starting to use the video quite a bit more.

I'm sure the next camera will have cool new features, but the MKII is an outstanding tool.