Thread: 8mm film video?? the old days

8mm film video?? the old days

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlPo-WphDuU]

this video really made me want to buy an old silent black and white 8mm film camera... they are cheap on eBay along with the film.. I'm very interested and its very much like photography. Just curious if any of the older members remember seeing these types of videos as a child or know of anyone who has them? I'm very interested in buying one to make a video like this and transfer it to the computer, adding music, and having this old look. Help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Re: 8mm film video?? the old days

Also does anyone know what kind of film to get or how to even use one of these cameras?? help would be appreciated

Hey

I'm not that old, so I can't really help you, but I thought it was cool what you want to do!

My dad filmed super 8 in the days and we watched a lot on the projector when we were small (weddingvideo, airshows etc). He still got the projector and I believe he even has the camera, but don't really know if it works. Anyway if you're gonna go for it, have a blast! It's really cool [Y]

Jan

Thanks im only a high school student so i didnt know much lol Any info helps so thanks!

I'm only 24 so that didn't really help here either [:P] But are you sure they still make film for 8mm camera? Super 8 film is still made, I know that, but the real old stuff? Perhaps super 8 is also more available. It is of course not only black/white although maybe you could buy it. I don't know. But I'm sure camera's and projectors of super 8 aren't to hard to find.

Anyway have fun!

Ebay has everything needed and iv read about ppl doing it recently online. But yes im still concerened about finding the right camera.

There are often good cameras to be found in thrift stores or at garage sales. I have bought lots of them to test and resell, but the market for them is very weak now.

I'd recommend super 8, the image quality is better, and its easy to find monochrome film. Canon made some excellent super 8 cameras, Bolex is the cadillac, but hard to find and expensive.There are other makes that are good as well, research the specific model before you buy it.

Also be very aware that many pull the cameras out of grandpa's garage, where they have sat for 40 years. The lubricants have hardened, they may have coroded batteries, and be of near junk status. The people selling them don't know anything about them, and you can never depend on a statement that it worked when it was put in storage, because there is a excellent chance that it won't work any longer.

I'd go for a Canon model, excellent for the price. Don't pay extra for the sound model, sound was never popular on super 8 and sound film is expensive and rare. The 514 XL is excellent. The sound model is 514XL-S whichever is in the best condition would work as long as the price is the same.

http://reviews.ebay.com/How-To-Buy-A-Super-8-Movie-Camera_W0QQugidZ10000000001941186

Wow thanks ! that helped alot time to go and buy one. Anyone else?