Thread: Netbook+Canon EOS digital solution disk ver 21.1=???

Netbook+Canon EOS digital solution disk ver 21.1=???

Hey everyone, hope you guys can help me out here as I'm not too tech savvy.

I recently got a netbook and was going to install the Canon EOS digital solution disk ver 21.1 onto it so I could upload my pictures from my 7D onto it. When I tried to install however, it said that the screen resolution of my netbook was incompatible with the disk. So what I want to know is, if I don't install the disk, can I still view the JPGs that I take with my 7D? If not, what do I do?

<3 Hope you guys can help.

Re: Netbook+Canon EOS digital solution disk ver 21.1=???

What is the maximum screen resolution on the netbook?

I mean you should be able to view the .jpg's as long as your netbook supports 640x480 which I'm sure can go beyond that maybe 1024*768 or 1280*1024.

What about the color quality, do you have it set to 8, 16 or 32 bit?
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

With my netbook, I have to change the resolution to 800x600 in order to use Digital Photo Professional. Of course, that involves some scrolling as the full 800x600 pixels can't be shown on the netbook at the same time. Once I'm finished with DPP, I set the resolution back to its normal setting.

You can, of course, view the JPGs that are shot with a 7D natively in Windows. However, if you want to view the RAW files, your options become a little more limited. Personally, I use the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack. With the codec pack, you'll be able to view RAW files just like you would with JPGs within Windows (with thumbnail previews and the ability to double-click the image to see the larger size).

The screen resolution is 1024 x 600. It can go higher (1152 x 864) but then everything looks weird (I don't know if there's a way to fix that). The colour quality is 32 bit. At 16 it looks weird.

I've tried installing again and this is the message that I get: The screen resolution to execute EOS Digital Solution Dick is not sufficient.

Sean Setters: I can view the JPGs natively? As in I can just plug in the cable between my camera and netbook, open the folder and view it no problem? If so then yay =) I thought I had to install it in order to view any pictures.

Thanks a bunch <3

If you are indeed saving your pictures as JPGs in the camera, then you only need a way to transfer those images to the netbook. Personally, I use a card reader. I put the card in the card reader and plug the reader into a USB port on the netbook. At that point, the card reader becomes another drive (like a hard drive) that I can open (or transfer) the images from.

Thanks so much! I'll know how I will deal with my photos then. RAW isn't so important for my travelling purposes. I don't have a card reader. Maybe I'll consider picking one up...

<3

Photoimage editing software often requires at least a 768 pixel wide screen on your computer. The netbooks usually do noy have this.

You can find a viewer that will work, and possibly some software. In most cases, netbooks just do not have the processing power to edit large images either, so its best to get something more powerful. Many of the netbooks with a 12 inch screen do have a resolution that works with software editing, but you need to avoid those with a intel atom processor and step up to a dual core processor.

MyLenovo X200S works very well with imaging software, but that LCD screen just doesn't really display colors accurately. Its also a more expensive unit.