Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post your best MP-E 65 shots

Post your best MP-E 65 shots

Haven't seen too many extreme macros. Does anyone have some shots with this lens?

I'll start out with a few, but I'm sure others have better ones.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.93.mp65/bug-1.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.93.mp65/grasshoper-1.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.93.mp65/head-turn.jpg[/img]

Re: Post your best MP-E 65 shots

You may be the only one with an MP-E 65mm :-)

Great shots though! I love #3. I bet that would look incredible blown up. About how big were these critters? Did you use your twin flash for these?

Awesome! When I get an MP-E 65 I'll contribute. But that lens is a ways down my list. (telephoto, flash, better normal lens...) but really really cool shots!

Thanks! I did indeed use a twin flash for all three of the pictures. A flash is almost mandatory for this lens, and a specialized macro flash is a good idea.

The grasshopper is a baby. The one turning his head just looks like a black dot to the naked eye. He is sitting on a very small yellow flower.

The lens is a *lot* of fun. I'm surprised there aren't more out there who have it. I thought a bunch of you guys would post awesome pictures to make mine look silly

By the way, not to mix threads, but if I did not have this lens and had to choose between getting this lens and upgrading my 70-200 Mk I to a Mk II, I would get this lens.

I have spent a fair amount of time playing with this lens, but it is about as specialized as lenses get and therefore sadly goes to the back of my list. I will say though, the potential for cool shots from this thing is awfully high.

Amazing pictures Jon! to be honest I´m really interested in some Exif info [A]

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle
    The lens is a *lot* of fun. I'm surprised there aren't more out there who have it. I thought a bunch of you guys would post awesome pictures to make mine look silly

If I had the money I wouldn't hesitate! But knowing that I should also buy a dedicated macroflash with it, I just can't afford it [:P] Until then I'm just fine with my non-IS 100mm macro. "Dancing with the available girls [:P]"

Too bad I can´t rent it either around here, else I would definitely gave it a chance!

Again amazing!

Jan

Thanks, Jan.

All of those were taken with the 5DII at 1/200 sec and f/16 which is the smallest allowed with the MP-E 65, not sure why that is (maybe they don't want people stopping way down and getting blurry pics from diffraction and blaming the lens).

I'm with you on the cost. I got the twin flash for my 100mm macro first, and a couple of years later got the MP-E 65. Didn't seem quite so bad that way

I would SO love to have this lens....

Money....

Hmmm....

Crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle
    I'm surprised there aren't more out there who have it.

Well, there's at least one more, now - I picked one up in a too-good-to-pass-up Craigslist deal yesterday afternoon, and only had about 5 minutes to play with it this morning. So, I'm not sure this qualifies as a 'post your best' shot, since in this case it's my first and so far only shot with the lens. It's the stigma of a daylily in a floral arrangement on our dining room table. Shot at 4x magnification (shot is uncropped), lighting was froma handheld LED Maglite.

EOS 5D Mark II, MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro @ 4x, 0.8 s, f/10, ISO 200

John,

Can I just say "kiss my butt", jokingly of course! I'd love to get this lens! Do you have the twin macro speedlight too?

Paul

ON EDIT -

I overlooked the line about the Maglite for lighting, so I will assume you do not have the MT24EX.