Thread: Black and White/Monochromatic

Black and White/Monochromatic

Is the monochromatic style the only setting on my xsi which captures shots in black and white? Or is there a better method/setting besides using photoshop or post processing?

Thanks a lot!

Re: Black and White/Monochromatic

why will people on this site beat a dead horse about lenses but when a new topic arises, people ignore it?

Well, I always convert things in PS using the preset filters and then tweaking them. So I don't know of a better method.

I usually end up using the green filter preset so if I know I'm shooting specifically for B&W I'll set my camera to monochrome with the green filter and also set for RAW+ Jpeg so that I can get a rough preview of what my final product will be.

Quote Originally Posted by nimblybimbly85

Is the monochromatic style the only setting on my xsi which captures shots in black and white? Or is there a better method/setting besides using photoshop or post processing?

Thanks a lot!
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

First, shoot RAW. No matter what the settings, shooting in RAW format gives you the flexibility to change your images without losing as much quality.

Second, I find that Digital Photo Professional does a decent job with monochrome images. The different filters provide an array of options that should not be overlooked by those who primarily use Photoshop. Of course, you can tweak images endlessly with PS, but I find a good red or green filter will often give me a decent black/white image without much fuss.

Otherwise, I have purchased one plug-in for Photoshop that works decently--it's called Power Retouche Black/White Studio. Honestly, you can do just about the same thing in CS4 with the Black &amp; White Adjustment Layer, but the plug-in is nice nonetheless.

for B&amp;W, I capture raw, apply DPP filters, maybe even tint, then post process in .... DPP...

I'm lazy and cheap that way!

you can always just decrease saturation in whatever application, but the translation usually doesn't work all that well.

Quote Originally Posted by nimblybimbly85

Using the mono style will give you a black and white image but you will be limited in the adjustments you can make with that image in post processing. As mentioned, you best bet is to shoot in raw and convert to B &amp; W in photoshop or another package. This way you can apply various filters and change the luminosity of each colour channel to get the best look.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30