Hi,

I'll just start by saying I'm brand new to digital SLRs. Just got back from a great trip with my family where we shot a ton of great photos of whales...etc in Baja. I told my brother to bring his laptop so we could off load the photos. Most of the photos were JPEG + RAW and we imported them into iPhoto. It's my brothers laptop so he took it home with him and I told him to export the photos onto a hard drive and mail them to me. When it arrived, they're all JPEGs with file names likeIMG_0551.jpg and IMG_0551_2.jpg where I think theMG_0551_2 used to end in .CR2.

I asked him how he exported them and he said he selected all the photos from within the iPhoto window and dragged them onto the desktop. Did this just copy a JPEG preview of the original RAW file? He of course then deleted all the original files without checking to see if they exported correctly. Are the RAW files lost or am I missing something here? TheMG_0551_2 type files are all slightly smaller than theMG_0551 type file (one is about 7MB on a Canon 7D file and the other is about 5MB). Guess I learned my lesson about letting someone else handle the files like this. Didn't think I had to micromanage how to export files but will have my own laptop for future trips. Thanks.

David