Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: xsi but thinking I should have got a 50d...

xsi but thinking I should have got a 50d...

So, I am new to digital photography, however I took 6 years of photography classes in high school and college combined using film.

I recently purchased the xsi about 5 months ago, and I feel as though I should have spent a few extra hundred dollars on a better camera such as the 50d which really appeals to me. I went with the xsi because it was more entry level for a newbie to dslr such as me.

I have read the reviews on this site for both the xsi and the 50d, however I had a hard time getting through all the tech lingo on the 50d review and it was just too much for me to comprehend.

So, my question is: did I make a mistake buying the xsi (since I already am an experienced photographer)?

And, what real advantages can you list in simple english that the 50d has over the xsi?

**If I do sell my xsi at a loss and buy a 50d, will the 50d be considered a suitable/serious enthusiast camera that i can utilize for many years to come?**

Thank you very much for all and any feedback!!

Re: xsi but thinking I should have got a 50d...

I don't think you've made such a bad choice there.A lot of fantastic images come out of the simplest of cameras. As far as I know some (not all) of the major advantages of the 50D over the xsi are a more rugged build, AF microadjust, higher frame rate, a fewmore custom functionsin the menuand a little less shutter lag. I haven't looked into it enough to comment on the noise performance etc though, so that may also be a factor.

As far a selling the xsi and hoping to keep the 50D forever - when you progress from beginning out to becoming an enthusiast you'll likely find that there's always something newer and better that you'd like to buy. I'd recommend using your xsi until you feel that you have "outgrown" it in your skills then think about upgrading.

Just my thoughts anyway. Cheers, Ben.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

I got a <span style="font-family: 'Arial', 'sans-serif'; color: #000000; font-size: 10pt; mso-ansi-language: EN; mso-themecolor: text1;"]Canon EOS Rebel XSi Digital SLR when they first became available about two years ago and have really enjoyed it.I would love a 50D but can't bring myself to spend money on a body when I could get more glass. A body is like a computer they come down in value all of the time. Lenses are more like firearms, they hold their value pretty well. There some really great lenses still in production that predate DSLRs. My <span style="font-family: 'Arial', 'sans-serif'; color: #000000; font-size: 10pt; mso-ansi-language: EN; mso-themecolor: text1;"]Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 <span style="color: #ff0000;"]L<span style="color: #000000; mso-themecolor: text1;"] USM Lens[/b]is a good example of this being in production since 1995.

There is one main reason I'll get a <span style="font-family: 'Arial', 'sans-serif'; color: #000000; font-size: 10pt; mso-ansi-language: EN; mso-themecolor: text1;"]Canon EOS 50D Digital SLR or contemporary equivalent XXD instead of the latest Rebel is AF Microadjustment.

If I had the cash in hand to buy a new body Iwouldn't waste money that could goto better glass.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Quote Originally Posted by nimblybimbly85
    will the 50d be considered a suitable/serious enthusiast camera that i can utilize for many years to come?

The rebel is a serious camera that you can utilize for many years to come. But nothing is top of the line for years. Even if you shell out $6000+ (or whatever it costs) for a 1DsIII, something better will be along soon in the form of the 1DsIV.

If you are specifically interested in action, the 50D might be better. If there are specific ways in which you find the rebel lacking, you might consider looking in to something else (possibly, but possibly not a 50D). But I wouldn't dump the rebel for the 50D just because the rebel isn't "considered a suitable/serious enthusiast camera." It is.

Spcific advantages of the 50D include a little more resolution, higher frame rate, bigger viewfinder, and a better autofocus for capturing action. For many uses, the rebel will do just as well.

The XSI is a great camera. Just as the T1i is nearly a 50D, the XSI is nearly a 40D.

Some things Ben didn't mention:

Larger sturdier body. Many people find the Rebel too small to hold comfortably.

Higher res screen, useful for Live View in 10x mode to get perfect focus for portrait and macro shots, or other tripod based non-action shots using manual focus.

Newer AF system (the XSI will have the focus system from the 20D or 30D, so it can't be all that bad, it's just older)

CF cards instead of SD cards (just a difference... not sure there's any advantage to either format).

On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

I think its more a question as to which you are most comfortable holding. They both make excellent images. The larger and heavier bodies do balance better with the large lenses, but it still boils down to which one you feel comfortable holding.

I've got very large hands, and a small camera is difficult for me to hold. I prefer the 1 Series for their size.

What is af microadjustment?

Quote Originally Posted by nimblybimbly85
    What is af microadjustment?

It lets you callibrate your autofocus. Eg if all lenses or one particular lens consistently front-focuses or back-focuses, you can fix that.

I got along fine without it before it existed

If some of your lenses are off and you shoot with very thin DOF's, it is very helpful. If don't use narrow DOF's or your autofocus works fine, you don't need it. All my lenses are close and have needed only very minor adjustment.

is that a problem with the lens or camera that occurs over time/usage?

I don't think so. I might be wrong but I've never experienced or heard of calibration deteriorating over time. If it is good now, it should stay good.