Thread: Something else I find interesting.

Something else I find interesting.

It feels like I'm wasting at least ten good inches of screen width when working on portrait pictures. Do they make monitor stands that can pivot ninty degrees? Do developers (adobe) have or will have a setting that when monitors are rotated ninty degrees for portrait editing, the menues move accordingly or perhaps have a better layout for that position?
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Re: Something else I find interesting.

I am not sure if the layout of applications switches automatically, but there are certainly monitors that are meant to switch from landscape to portrait and back.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/b/2005/05/04/dual-monitors-with-a-twist.htm

If you look up rotating monitors you will be surrounded in a wealth of information regarding the subject.

The other option is a freely movable monitor/input device, such as Wacom's Cintiq, though I hear at least some of these have horrible contrast ratios, which is at odds with them being art tools.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

I use a Dell u2401 and can rotate to portrait orientation. I just change the settings in Windows 7 and everything flips to portrait. Works well for me. It would be nice to be able to just rotate the view in a single application such as Photoshop though.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

I almost boughtthe fancywacom tablet one time..until I saw the price. I still have been looking at the middle-of-the-road one (Intious or something like that) for CAD stuff.

Btaylor, there issetting in windows that flips everything for portrait? Is it easy toflip back and forth?

edit: thanks for the link to the flippin' monitors also guys
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Quote Originally Posted by andnowimbroke
    Do they make monitor stands that can pivot ninty degrees?

Yes, quite a few of them.

Do developers (adobe) have or will have a setting that when monitors are rotated ninty degrees for portrait editing, the menues move accordingly or perhaps have a better layout for that position?

I haven't noticed anything special like that; everything seems to work fine for me when I rotate, though.

Btaylor, there issetting in windows that flips everything for portrait? Is it easy toflip back and forth?

I use windows 7 so you need to right click on the desktop and go to Screen Resolution >Pick the monitor you are rotating (if you have more than 1)> change the orientation from landscape to portrait.

It'd be nice if there was a hotkey so you could do this on the fly. Anybody know of one or a way to create a hotkey for something like this?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30