Thread: Image Critique - Superbike Race

Image Critique - Superbike Race

Well I just got back from the Suzuki Superbike Showdown at Road Atlanta. This was my first race of any kind so I want to know what you think!

Canon 50D w/ EF 70-200 f/2.8L + 1.4x Extender @ 280mm f/4 1/320 ISO250

Canon 50D w/ EF 70-200 f/2.8L + 1.4x Extender @ 280mm f/5.6 1/320 ISO100

Canon 50D w/ EF 70-200 f/2.8L + 1.4x Extender @ 280mm f/9 1/160 ISO100

All comments/critique welcome

Also, I have a few more on my flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/alexkrebiehl

Re: Image Critique - Superbike Race

Nice photos! I especially like the last image. Taken at f/9 which I thought was a bit odd but I love seeing the pavement streak by!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan

Nice photos! I especially like the last image. Taken at f/9 which I thought was a bit odd but I love seeing the pavement streak by!!

Me too! I think you were actually a bit to safe using 1/320 in the first two shots. But anyways, very cool photos, make me want to get to a superbike race myself someday [H]

Thanks! That was from the first day of three and I was still getting used to it. By the third day of the races I was using 1/160 sec shutter speed. My lens doesnt have IS so that made it a bit more difficult.

I took it at f/9 because that was the only way to get that low of a shutter speed on such a bright day. The background was blurred from camera motion so DOF wasnt really an issue.

Hereare a couple from Turn 1 and one from 7.

JeffersonPoster

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.27.05/American-SuperBike-_2700_10_2D00_392.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.27.05/American-SuperBike-_2700_10_2D00_222.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.27.05/AMA-1_2D00_626.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by alex.krebiehl
    That was from the first day of three and I was still getting used to it

Well sometimes it's better to stay at the safe side, but you'll see less blurry background and since there were people in the background it doesn't seem so fast as it could have been. I was at the risky side lately with 1/200 during motorcross and on my screen they looked ok, but in fact they weren't at all since there was too much vertical movement from the motors in my shots []

Without IS can be tricky I guess, did you use a tripod? Or fence to lean on?

I took it at f/9 because that was the only way to get that low of a shutter speed on such a bright day. The background was blurred from camera motion so DOF wasnt really an issue.

Well that's the whole idea of it I guess []

Anyway very nice photos!

Jeff I like that first one. Was that from last weekend or from another year?

Anyway, I didnt use a monopod until the third day of the races. I had just bought it and wasnt very comfortable with it and wanted to make sure I had something to go home with before I started experimenting. I spent most of the weekend handholding it.

I wished I had used a slower shutter speed on the first photo where he's making the pass, but it was still pretty early on and I wasnt too comfortable with it yet.

Here's one getting down to 1/200sec.

I wished I had used a slower shutter speed on the first photo where he's making the pass, but it was still pretty early on and I wasnt too comfortable with it yet.

No worries, after almost all of my shootings I wished I did something just a little different. And sometimes drastically different [:P]Keep it in mind for the next time, it's called learning, don't blame yourself for it []

Here's one getting down to 1/200sec.

Very nice, I like it [Y]

Jan