Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Composition Question -

Composition Question -

Hey All -

Looking for a little help here. Do you think there's an appreciable difference in the composition between these 2 images? I'm going for the standard "post card" shot here (in case that wasn't obvious!).

Camera settings: Sharpness 2, Contrast, Sat & Tone at 0.

Post: RAW conversion in ACR - Vib 10, Sat 2. In PhotoshopCS4, 1 USM pass, 1 Smart Sharpen pass, re-sized, tagged with sRGB profile.

Any thoughts you'd like to share, I would be most grateful to read them.

Thanks...!

40D 17-40L ISO200 - 40mm 1/800 @ f/4, 33mm 1/125 @ f/11 - hand held

at 40mm

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.29.05/_5F00_MG_5F00_3701_5F00_BrklynBr.jpg[/img]

and at 33mm...

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.29.05/_5F00_MG_5F00_3706_5F00_BrklynBr.jpg[/img]

Re: Composition Question -

Hey!

First of all, great photo![Y]

Quote Originally Posted by canoli
    Looking for a little help here. Do you think there's an appreciable difference in the composition between these 2 images? I'm going for the standard "post card" shot here (in case that wasn't obvious!).

Second: Yes I do, I like the second one more. The mainsubject (the bridge for me) in the first one doesn't seem to have a start nor an ending. I like it that I can see the end of the bridge in the second composition. I think it is a better composition and therefor think it's an appreciable difference [] It also shows more depth than the first one.

Also the yellow boat is less distracting in the second photo.

Quote Originally Posted by canoli
    40D 17-40L ISO200 - 40mm 1/800 @ f/4, 33mm 1/125 @ f/11 - hand held

hand held [:P]

Jan

hehe! "hand held" I don't know why I throw that in....

But thank you for your comments. Now that you said it I find I agree completely, seeing the "end" of the bridge on the far side of the river is better.

thanks again!

Awesome photos! I too prefer the second one for all the same reasons. Also, although inthe second one the little yellow boat is less distracting ...I still find it maybe does the photo more harm than good. Try removing it and see what you think of the difference. Maybe because it is sooo small, it sort of looks like a floating yellow submarine that makes me squint to see if that is what it is. [:P] I'd rather keep eyes focused on the beauty of the bridge and cityscape.

Denise

The second oneand just what the heck is that yellow thing? A water <span style="text-decoration: line-through;"]taxi school bus?
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Thank you guys - and yes, that "yellow thing" is indeed a NY Water Taxi...cruising down the East River.

So here's the same shot from a few minutes earlier - at 29mm. Better? (i think you guys were 100% correct - much stronger w/out it)

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.29.05/_5F00_MG_5F00_3689_5F00_BrklynBr.jpg[/img]

I love it! [Y]

Denise []

Much better without the boat. They're all nice shots. I don't want to be nit picky but the last shot you post appears to be suffering a little camera shake/ softness. The second shot at 33mm is much sharper. I think the best compromise here would be to clone out the sneaky little yellow russian sub in the 33mm image.

Nice pics though mate, you've certainly got the "postcard" feel you were after.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Thanks you guys - and Btaylor - I'm actually looking for just the kind of critique you're making, so thank you too. Also I think you're right, the whole image appears a little muddy - not terrible, but it's a little over-saturated or the levels are off - something isn't right.

It could be camera shake but that image was made at 1/2000 f/4. I'll convert it again and do a better job with the sharpness filter(s).

worse comes to worse I'll take your advice and just clone out the water taxi.

Thanks again you guys! I appreciate your help.

Definitely prefer the second one for the same reasons, PLUS I like the delineation of the foreground from the edge. Nice shot.