Thread: Interesing City shot or no?

Interesing City shot or no?

I'm wondering if this is an interesting shot or is it just a regular-looking street in Greenwich Village. Living here it's sometimes hard for me to tell what's eye-catching...

any thoughts you'd care to share...I'd be most grateful to read them. Thank you!

40D, 50 1.4, ISO800 1/60 @ f/5.6 -.33 EC - RAW convert in ACR, usual PP in Photoshop CS4.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.29.05/village_5F00_sky_5F00_471x752.jpg[/img]

Re: Interesing City shot or no?

Hey Canoli,

to be very honest...It doesn't really catch my eye. The only interesting part for me is the tower(s), but the trees pretty much break the line into the rest of the photo.

Also it looks a bit noisy/pixels...but that could be due to resizing or post-processing. The last picture of your bridge/skyline had the same look to it. Perhaps something goes wrong with resizing.

Quote Originally Posted by canoli
    or is it just a regular-looking street in Greenwich Village

That's what I would call it.

Hope I didn't step on your toes [A]

Jan

Sorry to say I'm with Jan on this one. I like street scenes, but this one doesn't jump out - it's an eye-level shot which so it's not distinctive from a perspective standpoint, the minivan at the light blocks the street which might otherwise lead the eye into the composition, the interesting tower is crowded against the top of the frame, etc.

This one might have been interesting as a long exposure (10-stop ND since it's daytime) for streaked tail-lights, etc. Just a thought...

Oh please don't apologize - these are the most beneficial comments I could hope for. Thank you both.

Comments about PP were right on the money. ISO 800, a little under-exposed = noisy. So it went through a noise reduction filter (NeatImage), which softens things up. Then sharpening, but if I do too much = halos. And of course you can't sharpen what isn't there...

As for the composition, again - exactly what I need to hear. The tower partly obscured by the tree branches, the car at the traffic light blocking the vanishing point... Yes - your comments will certainly help me the next time.

Best thing about this shot is your comments! Seriously, thanks to both of you again, I appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Quote Originally Posted by canoli
    Best thing about this shot is your comments!

Couldn't agree more with you, but not everybody likes straight on honesty, that's why we always need to be carefull not to hurt anyones feelings. Because that's not the idea []

Good luck with shooting and you'll notice that you'll pay more attention to specific details the next time, you'll improve rapidly if you dare to ask these questions and if you're open for constructive commentary and advice.

Have fun!

Jan