Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how much is the fair price for a canon 600mm 4.0 non IS?

how much is the fair price for a canon 600mm 4.0 non IS?

looking for a used fair clean condition 600mm 4.0 non IS, does anybody has any idea?

the reason I want to get the non IS version is that I'll use it on a tripod all the time and somebody told me the IS will cause some softness if you leave it on when using a tripod. correct me if I'm wrong. thanks!

Re: how much is the fair price for a canon 600mm 4.0 non IS?

I doubt it's an issue but even if that were the case you are aware that IS can be turned off right?

I do think the cost savings might be a compelling reason to get a non-IS.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead5811

I doubt it's an issue but even if that were the case you are aware that IS can be turned off right?

I do think the cost savings might be a compelling reason to get a non-IS.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

yes cost is the main reason to choose a non-IS if the IQ is almost the same as the one with IS on. I remember there was a thread in this forum talking about this one or two weeks ago maybe? and it mentioned that canon suggested that when use on a tripod turn the IS off. that made me wonder what's the point to have IS if you will use it on a tripod all the time?

To answer your original question, you're looking at anywhere from $3200-$4200 in a private sale for the non-IS 600 (depending on the condition)... higher end of that range if it's from a shop that deals in used lenses. If you really want to go that route, wait until around Christmas to have a bigger selection... people usually move lots of those (as well as non-IS 400 2.8 and 500 4.5 lenses) right around the holidays.

Unless your using an amazing tripod, a shutter release cable, mirror lock-up, and there is no wind or other vibrations then IS will be of a large benefit to you. Even the slightest vibrations can be detrimental to image sharpness; as lenses get longer the vibration is multiplied exponentially.

Hmm. I've had no trouble with exposures of half an hour or more in moderate wind at 800mm with no IS.

(Okay, okay, I was using an amazing tripod[H] )

Quote Originally Posted by crosbyharbison
    as lenses get longer the vibration is multiplied exponentially.

It may seem like it. But the vibration is only magnified linearly

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle
    It may seem like it. But the vibration is only magnified linearly

I was debating this word choice; I'm sure your right but I really wanted to drive my message home so perhaps I overexaggerateda bit

thank you guys for all the replies.

I bought a exceptionally clean one about 6 weeks ago, cost about $4,000. Even with a very heavy tripod and wimberly, if the wind is blowing, or conditions are not perfect, the shutter speed needs to be high. Although the original owner said he could get sharp images at 1/60 sec, so far, the few I've shot needed about 1/250 and sometimes much faster.

There is little doubt that without IS, technique is very important. I'd like to have IS, but the difference in price of $2,000 + for a used one was just pushing it too far.

JJphoto, when you get tired carrying that 600 I'd be happy to carry your 300 2.8 for you. For ever. just kidding

Anywho, a fair price would be between $3500 and $4200.