Thread: I think I know what I should do, but a few more opinions sure would help!

I think I know what I should do, but a few more opinions sure would help!

I am currently looking to upgrade my everyday lens. I currently have the kit 18-55 on an my RebelXSI.

To add some morebackgroundinfo: I also currently have a 10-22 and a 55-250 mm.I like to shoot pretty much anything and everything.

I, like many others, am considering the 17-55 f2.8 IS. I know that everyone here has said that the 17-55 is the best for a crop body, and that is where I'm leaning.

However, I can't stop wondering about the 24-70 f2.8L. I know that the 24-70 is best utilized on a full frame, and I honestly don't know when and if I'll be going full frame. But I do like the build quality and image quality of the 24-70L...and its an L

1. Would getting the 24-70 still not be wide enough for an everyday lens on a crop body even if I have the 10-22 to cover the wider range?

2.Would the 24-70 be too much lens for a crop body and I really shouldn't bother until I finally have a full frame?

3. I've heard issues with the 17-55's image stabilization and/orauto focusfailing and just overall build quality of the 17-55 is just a tad lower. thoughts?

Re: I think I know what I should do, but a few more opinions sure would help!

You already have the really wide end covered with a great lens... pull the trigger and get the L.

I have both the EF-S 17-55mm and the EF-S 10-22mm (and 5 longer lenses, 4 of them L's). The 17-55mm is on my camera most of the time (and it's the one I leave on the camera when it's not in use so I'm 'ready' to capture family moments around the house).

Point 1: I can tell you that even though I have the 10-22mm, I would miss the 17-24mm range in my 'everyday' lens, and I'd miss the IS, but I wouldn't miss 55-70mm range. For me, 24mm isn't wide enough for some indoor uses, where walls preclude backing up further - I'd rather not have to switch back and forth with the 10-22mm over and over.

Point 2: There's no such thing as 'too much lens' for your camera! Regardless of sensor size, the better the lens the better the images.

Point 3: The overall build quality is a tad lower, from a materials/construction standpoint, not from a quality standpoint. Most L lenses have metal barrels, etc. But I don't think the failure rate of the 17-55mm is especially high despite what you've read. Just like the 'dust issue' with that lens, it's overblown (and even the 100-400mm L zoom is called a 'dust pump', which it's not).

I really think the main point to consider in lens selection are the focal lengths you need, and secondarily the apertures you need at those lengths, and whether you need IS (if you only shoot things that move and are using a short-ish lens, you probably don't need IS). Both the 17-55mm and the 24-70mm have excellent image quality and a constant f/2.8. So it really comes down to focal length. The only other factor is timing of a possible FF upgrade. "If or when" means that's not a factor (vs. "in 6 months I'll be buying a 5D2" for example).

Here's what I'd suggest - since you have the 18-55mm kit lens and the 10-22mm, Look over a fair number of your shots with the 18-55mm, and check the EXIF data. How many of them were between 18-24mm where you didn't change to the 10-22mm? How many of them were at 55mm and you wish you'd had just a tiny bit more? Use that data to guide your decision.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

--John

Alex,

Most of use have gone through this decision process several times, so you will probably get a variety of opinions and things to consider. So here is my 2 cents worth.

1. L quality is addicting. The weight, the build quality, thesolid feel and most importantly the IQ. If there is an L series that meets your needs and the budget allows---go "L"

2. If you are consideringgoing full frame anytime in the future, the EFS 17-55 won't work on a full frame camera. Limiting future options was why I didn't go with the 17-55.

3.My general purpose lens is the 24-105L. A great walk around lens but a little slow for indoor use. Since I shoot mostly outdoors,I went with the 24-105L.If you plan on doing a lot of family shots around the house, the 24-70L would probably be the better choice because it is faster and has a little better IQ, but no IS.

4. In regard to the wide end. I have found that my 24-105 is plenty wide for most in-home shots, i.e. family, friends and pets and most indoor creative endeavors. The only time I have ever needed anything wider was trying to shoot "whole room" shots---and you already have that covered with the 10-22.

5. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with the 24-70. As many will testify, this lens willkeep you happy for years to come.

Good luck and lets us know what you decide.

Bob
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by alexsommers
    1. Would getting the 24-70 still not be wide enough for an everyday lens on a crop body even if I have the 10-22 to cover the wider range?

Only you can answer this. Personally, I tend to shoot on the long end most of the time (so 24 on a crop would be fine), but many people like the 17-24 range. I think John's suggestion of checking out your exif data is a good one.

2.Would the 24-70 be too much lens for a crop body and I really shouldn't bother until I finally have a full frame?

I really don't know what you mean by "too much lens". It's a concept I haven't come across before.

3. I've heard issues with the 17-55's image stabilization and/orauto focusfailing and just overall build quality of the 17-55 is just a tad lower. thoughts?

I've never used the lens but if I were considering purchasing it, I wouldn't consider these factors. I've spent too much time worrying about issues reported by only a few people only to have them come to nothing. (But then, maybe I'm just not very picky).

I think it simply comes down to weighing the factors you already know about. Pick the focal length range you want more, but give an edge to the 17-55 for IS (important, IMO) and and edge to the 24-70 for build quality.

I certainly do appreciate all the opinions/suggestions! I will try and see what my exif data says about my usage of the 18-24mm range. It's still going to be a very tough decision. I guess I'll have a few more days to decide as I'm waiting on Canon's rebates which I'm hoping will come next month?

I just wanted to give this thread closure by saying I went ahead with a refurb 17-55 f2.8 IS. I decided on the 17-55 b/c I also upgraded to a 7D so I will be sticking with 1.6 crop for a while. Excited to get it delivered later this week!

Congrats on your purchases! The 7D + EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 is an excellent and versatile combination! []