Thread: Portable Media Drive?

Portable Media Drive?

I am needing to buy a portable media drive that I can plug my CF cards directly into. Now I notice that they range in price greatly depending if I need a screen viewer or a B & W info screen. I need it to be reliable obviously, especially since I will be putting about 60 or 70 gigs of pics on it from my 3 week honeymoon to europe coming up. All experiences and recommendations greatly appreciated.

Re: Portable Media Drive?

I don't have one, but this was asked on a previous post and one of our community members suggested buying a HyperDrive. You simply plug in your CF/SD card into the device and it backs up your images. They have several models to chose from.

I needed something to do the very same thing, however, I went in a slightly different direction. I bought an ASUS 900HA/XP netbook and upgraded it with a 500GB hard drive and 2GB of RAM. The dimensions of the netbook (with an 8.9" screen) are small enough to never be a real burden to carry. Plus, I can do some image editing on the go (it'll run Photoshop just fine). And with a 500GB hard drive, I can do alot of backing up! If you buy the netbook stock, it'll set you back about $325 and you'll get 1GB of RAM and a 160GB hard drive. That said, I'm also using this netbook as my primary laptop, so it therefore sees much more use than if I had purchased a HyperDrive.

Just a thought...