Hi All,

I had the following image printed as an 8x10" at a local 'cheap' photo lab (Target). I selected the image because of the visible 'morning breath' from this red-winged blackbird's sunrise song. But, the brightness/contrast was altered sufficiently in the print that the puff of vapor is barely discernible, mostly visible only because I know where to look.

Any thoughts on how I can get a better print from this image? I usually use Mpix for prints (I was in a hurry this time), think it would have come out better there?

Was this due to human intervention, where the tech was trying to 'help' me by brightening up the image? (I didn't get a chance to ask the employee, but when I uploaded the pic at the kiosk he seemed to be viewing a tone curve on the processor/printer.) Does the photo printer automatically adjust image properties based on some pre-defined criteria? Is it as simple as different calibrations (I calibrate my display with an[url="http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Gretag-Macbeth-i1-Eye-One-Display-Review.aspx]X-rite i1 (Eye-One) Display 2[/url])?

Thanks for your advice, andC&C is welcome on the image, too!

--John

EOS 7D,EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6<span style="color: red;"]LIS USM @ 400mm, 1/500 s, f/5.6, ISO 400 (~50% crop)