Thread: Contrast adjustment for 'cheap' photolab prints

Contrast adjustment for 'cheap' photolab prints

Hi All,

I had the following image printed as an 8x10" at a local 'cheap' photo lab (Target). I selected the image because of the visible 'morning breath' from this red-winged blackbird's sunrise song. But, the brightness/contrast was altered sufficiently in the print that the puff of vapor is barely discernible, mostly visible only because I know where to look.

Any thoughts on how I can get a better print from this image? I usually use Mpix for prints (I was in a hurry this time), think it would have come out better there?

Was this due to human intervention, where the tech was trying to 'help' me by brightening up the image? (I didn't get a chance to ask the employee, but when I uploaded the pic at the kiosk he seemed to be viewing a tone curve on the processor/printer.) Does the photo printer automatically adjust image properties based on some pre-defined criteria? Is it as simple as different calibrations (I calibrate my display with an[url="http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Gretag-Macbeth-i1-Eye-One-Display-Review.aspx]X-rite i1 (Eye-One) Display 2[/url])?

Thanks for your advice, andC&C is welcome on the image, too!

--John

EOS 7D,EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6<span style="color: red;"]LIS USM @ 400mm, 1/500 s, f/5.6, ISO 400 (~50% crop)

Re: Contrast adjustment for 'cheap' photolab prints

Hey John,

I don't know if this helps, but I use a spyder elite to calibrate my screen and when I try to print my pictures at a local store (upload online and pick up locally) it always said that my photos were adjusted by me(which is true) and for the best results I better turn off the auto-adjustments by them. Off course I did this and all my photos came out terrible! No colors, contrast etc, they were horrible. The next time I did some testing with saving in adobeRGB vs sRGB and with or without auto-adjusting by them.

My findings: there are a few minor differences noticable with sRGB vs adobeRGB. sRGB works best for me. But the biggest difference was in the auto-adjustment from them. For the strangest reason, the auto-adjustment makes my printed photos about the same as how I see them on screen. It works great for me!

Really weird, because they advice me not to use it...but I know now what settings I will use in future-times.

Jan

Thanks, Jan. I'll take the time to talk to them in person, next time. The prints in my other thread (bridge and squirrel) were printed as 8x10's at the same time, and came out fine. That may because they were 'normal' images (a broad histogram), whereas this one has a more limited tonal range.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    That may because they were 'normal' images (a broad histogram)

I had no real big problems with these either. That messed up my initial test [:P] I used a photo with an almost perfectly equal histogram[A]

I hope you will figure it out, good luck!

Hi John,

I actually use Target a lot. The one by me is good and I know they do not make any adjustments to my images. In fact, they usually comment on the quality compared to a lot they get to see.

Having said that, I do not have a photo quality monitor (I have not tried to calibrate it) and my monitor images typically have less contrast than my prints. The way I work around this is: if I have images that are "special handling" or not "normal", what I do is use DPP to adjust them how I think they will print and then have some 4x6's printed as "proofs". I then use them to see if I made the right corrections and either chose the one I want or use them as a guide for further adjustment. Since the 4x6's cost $0.25, it is an inexpensive way to have a peak before I pop for a larger print. I am usually able to nail what I am looking for at less than a $1.00. It is an easily acquired skill.

I hope this helps you,

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris White
    have some 4x6's printed as "proofs"

Thanks, Chris - that's an excellent suggestion!

I know for a fact that the Walgreens and Walmarts in my area do an automatic "correction" to images they process. They don't tell the consumer this. Sometimes, even the operators are unaware of the automatic adjustments. Truth is, the adjustment helps a vast majority of the point-and-shoot pictures that go through their lab. However, when someone is expecting a specific output, it can be quite frustrating.

Let the processor know you want the pictures "as-is," and to turn off all auto-correction or auto-enhancing features when printing. Everytime I uploaded a picture to Walgreens website for printing, I called them right after submitting the order to request hands-off processing. After a couple of months of this, they put my name on a list with special instructions for my prints. :-)

Glad to be of help, John.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters
    After a couple of months of this, they put my name on a list with special instructions for my prints. :-)

Good point Sean. The Target by me has a couple of people in the photo department I deal with and they know from our conversations that I want my images printed "as-is".