Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (Part of) a fashion thing I did @ school

(Part of) a fashion thing I did @ school

I am kind of happy I asked the model to just keep on turning and moving. After she did, I could capture her sort of between moments, which led to this:

Re: (Part of) a fashion thing I did @ school

Good stuff.

Did you use black panels off to the sides?

No. I always use one light only, no additional panels (black or white) or reflectors. I like to keep it really simple. Complex sets make me nervous ^_^ (and insecure).

I hear you. I couldn't tell, the right arm looked light you might have used black panels but the legs didn't.

Most edgy fashiony shots are done with one light.

I think you did a great job.

What body and lens did you use? I'm still trying to get comfortable with one lens for this kind of stuff. My favorites seem to come from my 70-200 2.8 IS @ apx 135 but I'm trying to get comfortable with 85 so I can justify the purchase of the 85 1.2 II.

Nice shot mate. Well done. Wally
    Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

I shot with the 5D Mark II and the only lens I have left (being a student and unemployed, unfortnately, I had to sell all other lenses I had). That is the 24-105.

One light (Broncolor) on a boom. One umbrella. (No soft boxes for me: I don't like the shape of the shadows they cast). And very very high up. (The model HAS to turn her face towards the light or she will be darkened significantly by her eye sockets, immediately and in an unflattering way: so she has to obey certain rules for this to work).

You can tell the light is way up because the skirt casts a massive shadow on her upper legs. No light can reach those legs. And almost parralel to the floor. Avedon-ish light.

I like Avedon-ish. One of my favorites.

I like getting my lights up high too. i usually don't end up with ceilings that will accommodate the heights I want though.

I'm not a fan of softboxes for portraiture either. I usually just use them for product shots. I like the Photok Softlighters for portraiture. The fall off is nice and the catchlights are nice an round.

I was thinking Avedon (maybe Leibovitz) when I shot this. I didn't have high enough ceilings and he'd have use a lighter background too.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x900/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.25.81/_5F00_MG_5F00_1747bwS.jpg[/img]

Technically speaking Leibovitz light is VERY different from yours, so it's more of a starting point than a replication. Avedon light is very precise. If/when you nal it: it is very specific in terms of how it casts shadows. Not hard to learn but harder to get right ALL the time.

There is a VERY cooool documentary on Youtube in nine parts of nine minutes or so called Avedon Darkness And Light. Somewhere between the 6th and 7th minute you can see his lighting setup. Or one of the ones he uses. (He wasnt very consistent but he did have his favorites). I could explain it to you but my technical English sucks bad. I am not a native speaker.

(PS: I like the calmness in that photo. Its a nice shot!)

Awesome shot Madison [Y]