Thread: is the IS on the 17-55 f/2.8 really loud/noticeable to you?

is the IS on the 17-55 f/2.8 really loud/noticeable to you?

I just got my refurbished 17-55 f/2.8 IS today from Adorama and have been playing around with it. I was curious if any current owners of this glass have noticed that the imagestabilizeris particular loud at the precise moment when it turns on or off?

What I mean specifically is that I can distinctly hear very easily a unique sound when its activating and when its deactivating. In between the activating and deactivating, the sound it makes while its "on" is on par with my kit lens 18-55, but I never was able to hear the IS turn on and off sodistinctivelyon the kit lens.

Just curious if other owners share the same experience or not since this is my first ever refurbished lens that I've bought and I sure hope I don't have any major issues. Thanks!

Re: is the IS on the 17-55 f/2.8 really loud/noticeable to you?

I remember hearing it soon after I got it....I don't notice it now, though. I believe your unit is functioning properly. If you're still uneasy about the sound, take some shots hand-held with IS on and off (at shutter speeds where IS should help) to confirm that IS is indeed working properly.

I can't remember hearing anything unless my ear was against the lensbarrel.

Try Seans method to figure out if it works properly.

Jan

Yes, there is a distinct sound on my EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens when the IS activates and deactivates. It's not loud at all (very quiet, in fact), and I'd describe it as something like a staccato buzz. I only notice it if I'm in a pretty quiet environment, indoors usually. If I'm in a completely silent environment, I can also hear the operation of the IS.

Keep in mind that with a constant-aperture f/2.8 lens, there's a lot more glass being moved for the elements in the IS system.

I don't have any other EF-S lenses with IS to compare, but I can tell you that I hear pretty much the same start/stop sound from the IS system on three of my L lenses: theEF 24-105mm f/4<span style="color: red;"]LIS, theEF 70-200mm f/2.8<span style="color: red;"]LIS II, and theEF 100mm f/2.8<span style="color: red;"]LMacro IS. The IS on myEF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6<span style="color: red;"]LIS (a much older design) has a louder start/stop and is more audible during operation. I used to have a 300mm f/4L IS lens - on that one, the IS started with a very noticeable "clunk" that you could hear and feel.

As Sean suggested, test it. Take a shot 'on the edge' of hand-holdability (i.e. set the lens to 55mm, and in Tv mode set the shutter speed to 1/8 of a second), then take a shot IS turned off, then with it turned on (keeping in mind that full stabilization requires 0.25-0.5 seconds to achieve).

Hope that helps to reassure you. Enjoy your new lens!

--John

Thanks everyone for the reassurance. I checked to make sure the IS was working and it is. I was just not used to how much louder it sounds, but it makes sense being that the moving parts are larger and more of them in a f2/8 lens.

Quote Originally Posted by alexsommers
    I was just not used to how much louder it sounds

Yeah. With some of the older/larger lenses, Bryan describes the IS operation as a 'low growl'. But the 17-55mm is pretty quiet, except for the quick little start/stop buzz. If you shoot on a tripod a lot and are in the habit of turning IS off when you do (not strictly necessary with newer IS systems like the one in the 17-55mm, which are tripod-sensing), that little buzz is actually nice - you learn to listen for it to confirm that you turned IS back after you take the camera off the tripod. The buzz/click when it turns off is also helpful - it's not a good idea to remove the lens or power off the camera with the IS active, so either wait for the telltale sound of the elements parking and locking in place, or just get in the habit of waiting a couple of seconds before changing lenses or powering off the camera.

I just finished shooting the Rottweiler National Specialty in Greeley, CO and used my 17-55 for all the formals -- over 4,000 images. Never heard the IS at all. Not once. In fact, I had to check it once just to make sure it was on. Mine is very quiet and much more quiet than the IS on the 70-200 F2.8L mk 1.

Jim