Thread: Post Processing with Canon DPP

Post Processing with Canon DPP

I have a Canon rebel xs. I have taken photos using RAW quality, but when I open them in DPP they only come in as JPEG. What can I be doing wrong?

Frank

Re: Post Processing with Canon DPP

Hi Frank, and welcome to the TDP Forums!

Did you shoot in RAW only, or RAW+JPG? When you just look at the files directly (on the memory card), what file extension do they have?

<div>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; font-size: 10pt;"]I shot in both formats. When I look at the card the file extension is JPEG.<o></o>
    </div>
    <div>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; font-size: 10pt;"]Thanks for your prompt reply'<o></o>
    </div>
    <div>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<o></o>
    </div>
    <div>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; font-size: 10pt;"]Frank<o></o>
    </div>

When shooting RAW+JPEG, you should have doubles of each image, ie:

IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.cr2
    IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.cr2

The CR2 files are Canon Raw files. If you used a utility to copy files from the camera, perhaps that utility doesn't notice CR2 files. Try using windows explorer or one of the utilities that ships with the camera to read the memory card.

If you were using explorer,and you're sure the camera is set for RAW+JPEG,and you still aren't seeing the CR2 files, then I have no idea what the problem might be.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

The camera is definitely set to RAW. I checked explorer and it only shows JPEG. I have also tried DPP and PSE. I will continue to hunt. Could it be the card.

Frank

Make sure that you have the updated version of DPP, otherwise it might not recognize the .cr2 files.

Set your camera to RAW only and see what happens.

Make sure you are using one of the modes like P, AV, TV, M I don't know about your model, but some of the Rebels did not take images in RAW when using the green square.

I just checked the manual, if you set it to RAW + JPEG in the advanced mode, but use one of the basic modes for shooting, you will only get jpeg. This includes the green box mode.

Make sure you are using the "P" mode to get raw.